Sunday, March 14, 2021

Sprang ahead.

Pardon me, but I'm writing as if I'm under the influence of some substance. It is all about lack of sleep, though. 

Friday night we had wind gusts of up to 50 mph. Large dog Tralfaz is not afraid of thunder or fireworks, but strong winds freak him out. I stayed downstairs with him overnight to comfort him. That worked brilliantly. I slept about four and a half hours, not in a row. He was whimpering, whining, and wanted to go out a number of times. 

What made it worse was I had a meeting to attend Saturday morning at eight, and three projects for work in the afternoon. And on top of it all, I lost an hour of sleep Saturday night due to Springing Ahead for daylight savings time. I hate springing ahead.


When I was a young man about town, I could go on low sleep for a few days in a row with no major problems. Of course, some of the symptoms of sleep deprivation, like memory issues and trouble with thinking and concentration, were me as I was in college anyway, so the difference would have been hard to notice. Now it actually matters. 

So forgive me for being brief today, but I'm trying to avoid using my laptop as a pillow. 

When will we end the daylight savings time menace? I can't do anything about the wind, and I can't use narcotics on the dog, but there's no reason we should still be dealing with this spring ahead/fall behind nonsense. It's a relic from an earlier time, and I say it's spinach and the hell with it. 

5 comments:

Robert said...

The Sirius XM in my car displays the date, the outside temperature and of course satellite radio, which dejpends on relativity and time. But it can't handle the time switch. I have to do that manually.

rbj

peacelovewoodstock said...

Republicans in the U.S. Senate have reintroduced a bill to dump time changes. It will be interesting and instructive to watch the ensuing debate.

Personally, I find changing the clock and my own internal clock an annoying pain-in-the-a@@.

Doubtless, at some point, some genius will point out that it is racist, or at least sexist, to want to get rid of daylight savings time.



bgbear said...

I have a couple of clocks hard to change, that is what irks me.

Mark McClain said...

Dear Mr. Key,
I must apologize for going off-topic, but we haven't had an update on the beard situation. I know you were "to beard or not to beard, that is the question", but no information has further been forthcoming. Please elucidate for the clamoring throng! Illustrations shall of course be mandatory.
Your Pal,
Mark

FredKey said...

Dear Mr. McClain:

Did I forget? How foolish! I shall have an update on Tuesday. Stay tuned for the pulse-pounding tale!