Sunday, September 22, 2019

What's for brunch?

Hello, food fans! Do you like to eat food? So do I! It's what's for brunch!

So let's see what's on the menu this morning!

Well, I see autumn is in full swing with the folks at Yoplait:


I do recommend the Special Batch Limited Edition Pumpkin Caramel Oui. If you buy it in 2020 it will have gone bad. Quick, eat it now! Shove it in your face!

I am less enthusiastic about Silk's Oat Yeah! product, an oat-milk yogurt (oh, sorry, "oatmilkgurt"). I have nothing against fake milk on principle, and I like oats in cookies and as cereal, so I said sure, let's use the coupon and try it.

The one I got was mango flavored. And it was watery and bland, although the mango bits were nice. I guess you can only milk an oat so much. However, the product was chock full of smugness: 


No bad vibes! You won't feel sorry with your oats! Unless you focus on the fact that Silk is owned by agri-giant Dean Foods, which makes plenty of cow's milk products. Obviously this kind of thing doesn't leave me with "bad vibes," but your vibes may vary.

On to the cereal!

Regular readers (known far and wide for their patience and goodness) will recall that I have been monitoring the developments of peanut butter cereals closely.  I must break the news to you -- I have found the very best peanut butter cereal I have yet tried.


Peanut Butter Chex is basically Corn Chex with peanut butter flavor, and it's great. Good PB flavor, not too strong, not too sweet, mixes well with the corn. No review yet from Mr. Breakfast, but one commenter noted that it made great puppy chow -- which makes sense. Dogs love peanut butter, and could probably eat this cereal. Plus, Chex cereals were first made by Ralston Purina, the former animal food manufacturer that branched out into human cereals. However, what she probably meant was not chow for puppies, but the snack also known as Muddy Buddies. I would not be surprised if the whole idea of this cereal was to make awesome Chex Mix, and sure enough there's a recipe on the back of the box.



Maybe you don't like cereal. Maybe you like baked goods with your brunch. Well, warm up the microwave, Ethelbert, because here it comes!


Last month I just had to try the exceptionally bizarre Flapjack Unleashed product by Kodiak Cakes -- essentially pancake-in-a-cup. I decided to go back to try their bizarre muffin-in-a-cup, and I did. Same deal, you add some water, mix thoroughly, nuke briefly, and instant food. And this came out pretty well too, although it didn't just pop out of the cup like a fully-baked muffin. Some spoonage was required.


For microwave baking, this stuff is really nice. Tastes like a muffin, with the texture of an oven-baked muffin. Although the price in my local market may bring pause. Muffins don't usually retail for two bucks unless they are something special.



Finally, for those of you who want to eat pie for breakfast but can't excuse eating a Hostess Fruit Pie at your age, we have Lago's Crostatine Ciliegia.


A pal showed up at a meeting with a bunch of these Italian delights and I managed to snag one. Really good. Light, flaky pastry, delightful cherry filling, not as gooey or sweet as most American fruit pies. Goes really well with a good stiff cup of black coffee. Lago also makes one with a Nutella-like chocolate-hazelnut filling, which I hope to find one day before the doctor makes me stop eating like this.

So that's brunch! Wow, I'm stuffed. Time to waddle back to bed!

3 comments:

Stiiv said...

[rant]

I have lots of bad feelings about fake milk, most of which are caused by calling any liquid not from a mammal's teat "milk". It's a lie...no, it's worse than a lie, because it implies false equivalence. The watery drippings they squeeze from almonds or soybeans aren't even close to the white, creamy perfection that is whole cow's milk. "Coconut milk" gets a very reluctant pass, if only because a coconut somewhat resembles a human breast. Somewhat. ;>

And that "no bad vibes" claim for that one product CREATES "bad vibes" in my soul for using that stupid hippie expression in the first place. ;>

And for goodness' sake, Fred...you're going to turn into a big bowl of sugar one of these days if you don't watch it.

[end rant]

FredKey said...

Well, to be honest, Stiiv, I didn't eat it all in one meal. I fear I have now ruined my reputation....

Stiiv said...

Nah, you're still a sweet guy, sugar or no sugar. But I worry. ;>

My Mom always said I'd turn into a hamburger...still waiting on that one.