Sunday, September 8, 2019

Punt.

Another September and another year I intend to spurn the NFL. They still have the same dumb commissioner; they still feature a workforce that thinks it can get away with all sorts of behavior that would get any other employee of any company in the country fired so fast they would be standing on the street with a cardboard box before they knew what was happening. And the NFL still treats its fans like suckers and idiots.

So, I'd rather be neither.

My previous years' boycotts was, I admit, eased by the fact that the New York Giants have been pretty bad -- 8 wins over the last two seasons. I wasn't missing anything. Some Giants fans I know are pretty excited for this season, and I have been told that they went undefeated in this preseason. There is nothing about this last bit of information that would excite me. The Giants were 5-0 in the preseason in 2014 and 6-10 in the regular season. If they're undefeated twelve games into this season, I still won't want to watch them.

When Major League Baseball shot itself in the tush back in 1994, doing what two World Wars couldn't do -- cancel the World Series -- they at least spent the next four seasons trying desperately to get the fans interested again. The NFL pisses off half the country, the half that contains most of its fans, and just assumes we'll fall in line if they wait us out. And they're probably right.

But I've realized that I'm busy enough without squeezing hours of football into my week.

I'm not so much angry anymore at the anti-American protests and the league's embarrassing response; I'm just tired of the crap. I have better things to do.

3 comments:

Stiiv said...

Hockey...sooooooon...hockey...goooooood...

Let's Go Rangers!

Mongo919 said...

Agreed. The NFL has devolved into a clown show of divas and self-congratulatory showboats who feel compelled to find a camera and celebrate wildly after EVERY play, no matter how mundane. By contrast, rugby (Premiership, Union, NRL 6 Nations) and Australian Rules Football (go Collingwood) offer nonstop action, hard-hitting collisions, unified team play, no millionaires taking a knee during the anthem protesting their imaginary oppression, and skimpier uniforms (no helmets or pads) for the ladies (mostly) to admire the physiques!

Right now in the AFL and NRL it's Finals Season. Their Winter is turning to Spring and by early October, the Grand Final in each league will have been played. I might then watch college ball, but would rather stream replays of AFL and NRL regular season games than watch the No Fun League. Or hockey, as Stiiv said. Dangerfield - "I went to the fights the other night and a hockey game broke out!"

Tanthalas39 said...

While I understand your comments, I find it interesting that it even needs to be said. It's a game. Played for the paying public's entertainment. Watch, or don't watch.