Monday, September 16, 2019

Puppysitting.

I'm writing this on Sunday morning because I may not survive to Monday.

We're puppysitting today.

Friends of ours have asked us to mind their sweet little girl puppy, a pup well known to our two knucklehead boys, until the evening. And we love her and we're happy to do it.

Everyone has just settled down after two and a half hours of play and weirdness.

This is another case where language helps, where being the "talking animal" is a big advantage. We couldn't explain to any of the dogs what was happening and help them prepare. We couldn't ask the visitor if she was hungry, needed to go pee, or anything. And they're all weirded out by the whole thing, as much as they love being together. Heck, she's been here before, and we've all been to her house -- but it's the first time she's been with us without her owners. So all the canines are confused.

I mean, when I was a kid I was sometimes dumped places for babysitting purposes, but I could usually understand what was going on.

Well, okay, there was one time when I, being the youngest, was left at the house of friends I didn't personally know well or like much, and I knew I'd be at the mercy of the three kids. Mom dropped me there early -- I think she was accompanying the older offspring on a Scout trip to West Point, two hours north. So, a long day. Worse, it was summer, and they started early, so when I was dropped off the other family's kids weren't even up yet, and I am pretty sure no one knew I was going to be there. To this day I still remember that awkward, almost sickening nervous feeling of sitting in the sunken living room, waiting for the kids in the house to wake up.

The rest of the day was a blur, and I guess it wasn't too bad, although I was a bookish boy and bad at sports and didn't fit in with any of the others or their neighborhood friends. But no one hit me and I didn't hit anybody and didn't go home in tears, so I suppose it was all right. And I know these days, when all the adults work and people live far from family, that children go through this kind of thing all the time.

Wow, I'm surprised I got enough peace and quiet to write this much, although I was interrupted at the end of paragraph five, when junior dog Nipper was accidentally awakened by guest doggette Michelle (Ma Belle) and barked his fool head off, scaring everyone.

Signing off now, to be continued after the comical emojis below.

--Fred, 9/15, 11:15 am

πŸΆπŸΊπŸΎπŸ©πŸ•πŸ‹πŸŽ‡πŸŽͺπŸ‘πŸš‘πŸš’πŸš“

Update:

Well, it's Monday morning, and Michelle went home with her folks last night, unharmed and cheerful. It was a tiring day because the guys were so excited that they barely got any doggie downtime, as usual. We're all running slow this morning. As my wife noted, it was the first time since Nipper was a puppy more than three years ago that we had to constantly watch for a dog to do something destructive.

But Michelle didn't, aside from grabbing the odd shoe or towel. I'd been inspired to take her for a good walk, which she enjoys; exercise usually helps dogs relax. Work out the nerves. And my wife and I did have a lot of fun with the herd. The weather was great and we all sat on the porch for quite some time.

We'd be happy to sit for Michelle again. She's a sweet little lady, except when she's trying to puppy-fight in the house with Nipper. Who knew girls were so good at starting fights? Well, everyone, I suppose.

No comments: