Monday, September 2, 2019

No labor today.



Yes, I'm posting my photo of a hardworking laborer again for Labor Day.

You relax, kid; it's a holiday. I'm less concerned with people not working as to what happens when we do:


Regarding this meme that was making the rounds:

1) I'm afraid that Amy Winehouse is not a role model, someone from whom people ought to take advice, especially when it comes to screwing things up;

2) No one wants to hear "Oopsy!" and "That's why pencils have erasers" out of his brain surgeon, bridge engineer, pilot, or plumber;

3) I have had to swallow my pride and admit to many mistakes in my career, but I have never been cavalier about it, as this little meme would encourage me to be;

4) People who post this kind of thing want their mistakes to be overlooked, not to announce that they're hereby overlooking the mistakes of others.

Just my thoughts for the day; yours are welcome. Short dose of Vitamin Fred today; too lazy to do more.

😴

3 comments:

Stiiv said...

Like I tell newbies at work: If you've never made a mistake, you've never done anything...but making the same mistake more than once is NOT allowed. You must learn from your mistakes, otherwise you're just bad at whatever it is you're trying to do.

FredKey said...

Wise advice, Stiiv.

Mongo919 said...

Sadly, Ms. Winehouse's life serves as a warning to others, rather than as an example.

Stiiv, Duke of Allentown, speaks the truth.

During my years as a flight instructor, most of my student's best learning happened through mistakes that I manipulated them into making - in a very controlled environment, of course. You can read about recovering from inadvertent aerodynamic stalls or spatial disorientation from now until Doomsday, but nothing teaches the lesson like experiencing those sorts of things and having to work your way out.