Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Suckers!

My wife was lamenting the fact that the lemon drops of her childhood were impossible to find. I looked in the supermarket; I looked in the drugstore. I bought some Lemonheads, by Ferrara, but they were not the ones she wanted. She said the ones she recalled fondly had a dusty sugar coating, but were not too sweet, not too sour, and then I figured it out.


First, a little backup: In the 1970s, there was a big, nostalgic, small-town-values movement in American culture, as people disgusted with huge corporations and corrupt Washington and failing cities and artificial stuff in general wanted to return to the roots of good old-fashioned decency. From this came all sorts of things, shows like The Waltons, songs like "Sweet Home Alabama," foods like Ben & Jerry's, slogans like "Pepperidge Farm Remembers," presidents like Jimmy Carter. (Okay, he was a one-off.) Candy too was given the old-fashioned look, and the kind of lemon drops my wife likes best were the type shown here, not too hard to find right up through the 1980s.

When the 1990s hit, all that went out the window candywise, and we entered the Jolly Rancher era -- strong flavors, sours, crazy colors. Such old-fashioned stuff got harder to find, and remains so.

Claeys has continued to make its old-fashioned candy, as it has since 1919. But I can't find it in the local stores. Fortunately, using the newfangled Internet, I was able to order their lemon drops, and a real old-time fave, horehound candy. (Claeys has its own Web site, but it looks like it was designed in 1919; you can order through Amazon, CandyWarehouse, GroovyCandies, et al.) One taste and my wife said these were just the lemon drops she wanted.

As for the horehound: Horehound is a mint, botanically speaking, but not minty. I'd sometimes seen horehound candy mentioned in old books, and was curious about it. Well, I finally got a bag. You see on the package that, unlike lemon drops, the horehound candy is sold as medicine, "Soothing to the throat." It's quite delicious, almost like the mild-mannered brother of Ricola herb drops. Would it help a sore throat? I'll let you know, if the bag holds out until I get sick again.

So there you have it -- old-fashioned quality candy available for delivery by Internet-age technology. Server farms remember.

4 comments:

Janet Roesler said...

Some Walmarts carry Claey’s. I’ve seen similar packaging on candy at Tractor Supply, but I’m not sure It’s the same name.

Fiendish Man said...

There is a growing chain of candy stores in the Pittsburgh area called Grandpa Joe's (like the guy from Willy Wonka) that have an amazing selection, including Claey's. Never had it before, but I am not likely to pop in and buy some based on your recommendation.

FredKey said...

Hi, Janet! You know, I hadn't thought to check Tractor supply; we have one not too far from here and they do have some strange and interesting snack foods, even for humans! Next time I'm up that way I'll see what they have. And FM, please let me know what you think! Turns out the mrs. likes the horehound candy as well.

Janet Roesler said...

Fred, I ‘m really not supposed to eat candy (not that I would let a little thing like that stop me) but next time I’m in TS I’ll pick up some and try it and let you know. I’m pretty sure I won’t be able to give a sound verdict based on just one piece, so I’m already formulating my excuse — er, explanation — for my endocrinologist as to why I ate a whole bag of candy in one sitting. (Dude, it was scientific research!) I’ll just do the lemon, though; my Baptist sensibilities have a delicacy about eating anything that sounds like it might be favored by ladies of questionable reputation.