Sunday, August 4, 2019

No voice on the line.

A loved one calls about your dearest elderly relative a thousand miles away. The rebound was temporary, shorter than expected; everything has fallen apart, gone to hell all of a sudden. All these years of work and worry have come down to this.

She can't speak. She can't communicate, but she can hear. I'll hold up the phone so you can talk.

What do you say?

Swallow, hard. Marshall thoughts. Come on, words, you goddamn stupid words, you've been my soldiers all my life, now get in formation one goddamn time when I really need you.

Hello?

I'm so sorry you're so... sick. 

I wish I could be there right now.

I hope we'll talk when... when you're better.

I love you.

We're all praying for you.

God bless.

I'll see you again. 

Good-bye. 

No voice on the line.

The message comes in the night -- she's gone. It's over. Whatever was to be done, it is done.

Stupid, stupid, stupid, goddamn worthless words.

3 comments:

peacelovewoodstock said...

Words strain,
Crack and sometimes break, under the burden,
Under the tension, slip, slide, perish,
Decay with imprecision, will not stay in place,
Will not stay still.

T.S. Eliot

Mongo919 said...

So sorry, Fred. I hope you were heard. Sometimes the voice is more important than the words.

FredKey said...

Thanks, gents.