Friday, August 16, 2019

Gotta have my Pops!

Sometimes you fall into a topic and it just sticks to you, or perhaps I should say sticks to the roof of your mouth. I am surprised to note that I've addressed the topic of breakfast cereals so many times that this is the third time I'm writing about the subtopic of peanut butter flavored cereals. But that's where we are. 

In 2018 I wrote about Reese's Puffs, a General Mills cereal based on the popular peanut butter cups. I liked it, and said it was not overly sweet, being basically Reese's-flavored Kix. Then, this past June, I reviewed Post's Nutter Butter cereal, which was not as good, having lame taste and poor consistency. I ate it, of course, but I didn't like it. I also mentioned in that review the late and somewhat lamented JIF peanut butter cereal by Kellogg's.

Now we have this, also from Kellogg's: 


Corn Pops were introduced in 1950, became Sugar Corn Pops in 1951, Sugar Pops later, back to Sugar Corn Pops in 1978, and back to Corn Pops in 1984, according to Dr. Wikipedia. This new variation adds the flavors of chocolate and peanut butter to the mix.

I was hesitant to try it. I'd never really been a Corn Pops kid growing up. I don't know why. The cereal has always had good slogans.


I did have a lame (for a little kid) mascot for a while, using a real-life cowboy instead of a possibly-insane leprechaun or toucan or ship's captain or tiger or something loopy like that. Eventually they brought on a wacky cowboy with a huge yellow hat, but that's another story.




I always thought Corn Pops were just okay, not exciting. But I eat a lot of foods nowadays that my young self would have felt were gross or boring, so what the hey -- let's try 'em.

Verdict: Good!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Corn Pops are not too sweet, but definitely have good chocolate and PB flavors. It's a very dry cereal, though, and better in milk than just out of the box. But if these are the flavors you want at breakfast, I say go for it.

This cereal is so new that Mr. Breakfast's Cereal Project hasn't even reviewed it as of this writing. I'm ahead of the curve!

So I recommend it, at least if you're a fan of Corn Pops or peanut butter and chocolate. I guess it comes down to, as Lincoln never said, that people who like this sort of thing will find this to be the sort of thing they like -- but in a way, isn't that true for everything?

3 comments:

Fiendish Man said...

You ought to be called Mr. Breakfred. Or not.

The only peanut butter cereal I remember from childhood (1970s) was Peanut Butter Crunch. No memory of trying it, but it just didn't seem like something I would want for breakfast. The elephant mascot didn't impress me, either. Regular Cap'n Crunch was a favorite, as well as Crunch Berries.

Reese's has never been a favorite of mine, but my kids love it because my mother-in-law gave it to them at her house when they were little. I've always loved chocolate cereals, but you can keep the peanut butter!

The other day I saw some Cotton Candy Crunch in the store. The Cap'n has gone too far! Might be time to sink the rascal.

Meanwhile, I'm over fifty and have gotten used to oats with blueberries or bananas in skim milk. So wholesome!

gramey said...

Sugar Pops were on my morning cereal list when i grew up in the 50's. I can still sing the commercial:
Kel--logg's Sugar Corn Pops
Sugar Pops are tops

FredKey said...

FM: Total agreement about the Cap'n -- he'll never make Admiral at this rate, and the crew of the Guppy might even mutiny.

Gramey: I know of old-timers that can still sing the Kellogg's Pep jingle... Not I, though. Speaking of which, Delish has a feature on which cereal came out the year you were born that I thought was fun. https://www.delish.com/food-news/g3403/cereal-brands-history/