Wednesday, June 19, 2019

A Post that sticks to the roof of your mouth.

We were discussing some Post cereals at the Great Lileks's site yesterday, which reminded me I had wanted to post about one. And I do mean Post.

I've always thought Post was the Pepsi to Kellogg's Coke, but that may not be an apt description. First of all, Pepsi actually owns Quaker. Second, Quaker may be the Pepsi to Kellogg's Coke, leaving Post as the RC Cola to both of them. 

I don't know -- but Post always seems to have less shelf space than the other two. So I've always rooted for them, a little bit, and made sure to get my Grape Nuts, my Shredded Wheat, my Honey Bunches of Oats from time to time. No Fruity Pebbles, not these days. 

Medieval Post brands;
courtesy of Lileks.com

Although I will admit to taking Alpha-Bits to the woodshed on one occasion.

One thing Post has done in recent years that must be a home run: deals with Nabisco to make cereals based on their cookies, like Oreos, Chips Ahoy, Honey Maid graham crackers, and now:


I've always liked the Nutter Butter cookie, big PB fan am I. So, when this cereal appeared on sale, I had to try a box. Here's the description from the back of the package:




Unfortunately I did not go crazy for it as promised, and it does not take much to get me crazy. I was disappointed. I thought the little cookie did not have much flavor on its own, and the coating of peanut butter was unpleasant, almost gummy. Dry or with milk, the texture was not good, and the flavor was weak.

Others do like it, as is clear from the votes and comments on the invaluable Mr. Breakfast site, but not me.

The odd thing is, I really liked Kellogg's JIF peanut butter cereal, which came out in 2014, and that's been discontinued. If this cereal succeeds where that failed, it will be a triumph of Nabisco brand recognition. Or maybe it's just me; maybe as in other things I am just running contrary to my fellow Americans.

But it looks to me like Pepsi wins this one; Quaker-owned Cap'n Crunch's Peanut Butter Crunch has been killing it in the cereal aisle since 1969.




But I feel sad that they've fired Smedley the Elephant, who's no longer allowed on the box. Heartless bastards, those oat people.


3 comments:

Mongo919 said...

Honey Bunches of Oats with almonds is my favorite Post cereal. Just the right crunch, not too sweet, an impudent little bouquet, with a slight oaken finish.

Fiendish Man said...

You couldn't go crazy for it because you were already crazy?

FredKey said...

FM: I just mean to say, if someone wants to drive me crazy, they won't be spending a lot on gas.