Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Bad covers.

Was talking about pop music with my wife, and she noted that while it's fun to hear musicians and bands take a crack at other people's hits, some combinations would be a Bad Idea.

I like hearing different takes on well-known songs. I've enjoyed records like Enjoy Every Sandwich (the Zevon tribute album) and To Cry You a Song (Jethro Tull tribute) and Saturday Morning Cartoons' Greatest Hits, for example, and at Christmastime we all hear miscellaneous idiots trying out Christmas classics. There's even some bits from the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band movie soundtrack that are worth listening to, although that's counterbalanced by all the bits that are so very, very much the opposite of worth listening to.

My bride and I were agreed, though, that it's a good thing that singers and groups have wisely steered clear of songs that would not have suited them. So we made a list of our top 20 covers that we're glad did not happen. And believe me, it was hard to stop at 20. Your contributions are most sincerely welcomed in comments.


In no particular order:


Aerosmith: "Yakety Sax" (Boots Randolph)

Stevie Nicks: "Shaddap You Face" (Joe Dolce)

Yes: "(How Much Is) That Doggie in the Window?" (Patti Page)

Barry White: "Woody Woodpecker Song" (Kay Kyser)

The Verve: "Escape (The Piña Colada Song)" (Rupert Holmes)

Stormtroopers of Death: "My Favorite Things" (The Sound of Music)

The Archies: "Run for Your Life" (The Beatles)

Bruce Springsteen: "Major-General's Song" (The Pirates of Penzance)

The Carpenters: "Animal (I F__ Like a Beast)" (W.A.S.P.)

Bing Crosby: "Black Dog" (Led Zeppelin)

The Crash Test Dummies: "All I Want for Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth" (Spike Jones)

Iggy Azalea: "Honeymooners Rap" (Joe Piscopo)

Madonna: "Seasons in the Sun" (Terry Jacks)

Hank Williams Jr.: "Get Together" (The Youngbloods)

Whitesnake: "Daydream Believer" (The Monkees)

PSY: "Born in the USA" (Bruce Springsteen)

Taylor Swift: "Purple Haze" (Jimi Hendrix)

Mojo Nixon: "Be Our Guest" (Beauty and the Beast)

The Silver Platters: "Because I Got High" (Afroman)

Sonny & Cher: "Last Caress" (The Misfits)


(To be fair, some of these songs shouldn't have ever been released by anybody.)

6 comments:

Mongo919 said...

If Taylor Swift covered "Purple Haze", the line "'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy" would make more sense. ;>)

Bing Crosby doing Led Zep made me LOL.

A cover I really enjoy is the edgy remake of the Eagles' "Boys of Summer" by the Ataris. Really great driving stuff.

peacelovewoodstock said...

Johnny Cash doing "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails ... but that is actually a cover, and better than the original IMHO

Or William Shatner covering "Hey Mr. Tambourine Man" (Byrds) ... also real, but arguably the worst cover ever.

I saw Bob Weir with "Wolf Bros" covering "Its so easy to slip" (Little Feat) the other night and it was epic.

peacelovewoodstock said...

Johnny Cash doing "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails ... but that is actually a cover, and better than the original IMHO

Or William Shatner covering "Hey Mr. Tambourine Man" (Byrds) ... also real, but arguably the worst cover ever.

I saw Bob Weir with "Wolf Bros" covering "Its so easy to slip" (Little Feat) the other night and it was epic.

bgbear said...

Carry Underwood was doing Joan Jett covers at the CMA fest the other night and it was really good. It got better in that Joan Jett joined her.

Once I heard the original Jacques Brel "Le Moribond" I was even more horrified by Terry Jacks /Rod McKuen's "Seasons in the Sun".

[agree, "Hurt" by Johnny Cash is better than original]



Mongo919 said...

If you want a really painful Shatner cover, check out his rendition of "Rocket Man"!


https://youtu.be/lul-Y8vSr0I?t=51

FredKey said...

Thanks for the thoughts, lads! Mongo, you reminded me of one of the all-time great Mondegreens; even was the title of a book, as I'm sure you know! https://www.amazon.com/Scuse-While-Kiss-This-Guy/dp/0671501283