Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Look out, kids!

It's funny -- as we get closer to the start of a new school year, the topic has come up more and more in my circle about the memories we adults have about the end of summer break and the return to classrooms, books, and teacher's dirty looks. What's funny is, most everyone I spoke with, from all walks of life, remembers being excited for the first day of school. Mileage varied considerably for how long the excitement lasted beyond that first day.

A few weeks ago, duty called on me to be in the halls of a public school a few towns over (long story), and I have to say, they always kinda look the same. Weird sloping halls, moisture on every surface as if the building itself is sweating it out, and predominance of Municipal Beige (I believe that is a Glidden color). 



The best part of getting ready for the start of school was the stocking up of supplies. This was probably true for every year of my schooling until college, when "supplies" could include "textbooks that cost more than my first car." Then, not so fun.

I would fall under crushing boredom as August waned, and that could make September look more welcoming -- as did the triple H of August in the city. These days I struggle to remember what it was like being bored. If I ever have nothing to do now, I take a nap. Yay, naps! Back then, naps were for babies. Boo, naps!

My memories of the actual first day of the school year are pretty scant. I remember a few of them, some curious, some happy, some terrifying. I probably remember the first day of kindergarten the most, in that scary school with the tremendous fifth-graders who, I secretly believed, wanted nothing more than to beat kindergartners into paste for laughs. Man, I coulda used a drink that first day, amirite?

New schools were always a problem. Either I knew some kids from the last school and we were all in for a rude awakening (entering middle school was like running with glee and sliding into a long cheese grater) or I knew no one and was thus an outcast.

College was better because everyone was trying to be an adult and no frosh knew anyone else anyway. But the pressure to not screw up was very strong.

I remember a lot of teachers fondly, and a few school events, but I seldom think about school much anymore. I know I learned a lot, and even the things I've forgotten at least gave my brain some sharpening in the formative years (anyone for quadratic equations?). But I don't remember the annual return to school as well as I would have expected to.

How about you? Any years that stand out?

2 comments:

Fiendish Man said...

More than once, I dreamed about everyone in high school having to report to their first term freshman classes. Why would I want to show up for 9th grade Science? The teacher was kind of a jerk. Why the short-term nostalgia? Perhaps I subconsciously wanted a reset button for different stages of my life.

Dan said...

I never really liked school. Never really looked forward to the first day. Did everything I could to avoid going.
Vanderleun had a good one regarding school the other day:
http://americandigest.org/wp/back-to-school-2/

School here Georgia started the fifth of August. Growing up to ninth grade in New Jersey, I can't imaging school starting before Labor Day, but here they seem to be starting earlier and earlier. At this rate, the last day of school will be the end of May, but the new school year will start in mid-April prior.