Merriam-Webster defines pond scum as:
1. any of various algae (especially spirogyra) or cyanobacteria 2. a mass of tangled filaments of algae or cyanobacteria in stagnant watersSounds even worse than it looks, actually.
So if you're going to hit someone with a name like pond scum, they'd better be pretty bad, right? But not bad in a violent, vicious way; bad in a low way, like sneaky, or gross, or tangled in themselves like filaments of cyanobacteria in stagnant water.* Who could possibly be this disgusting?
I have some suggestions!
- Guys who play the radio at the beach---loudly
- Guys who drop a brick in the can and won't wash their hands
- Guys who shoot up the shoulder to avoid traffic, or blast straight through the turning lane to avoid a busy intersection, and think they're smarter than everyone else
- Guys who think every interaction with any female is an opportunity to hit on them**
- Perfectly healthy guys who think they're entitled to freeload in their parents' basement until they're, like, fifty
- Bosses who like to make arbitrary rules or even fire people to make themselves feel powerful
- Most teenagers, to some degree***
- Former politicians who become massively wealthy lobbyists
- Present politicians
- Anyone who works in the movie industry
That's just a warm-up, I'm sure. Feel free to add suggestions to the Pond Scum list. It will help idenify more characteristics of the genus.
*Pond scum are not actively evil, like people who set fire to bums; such people are more like cancer than merely gross bacteria.
**NB: Special level of hell for creeps who engage in Thirteenth Stepping; you know who you are.
***Fortunately, this proves to be a temporary condition. Usually.