Saturday, January 16, 2021

Heavy metal classics.

This could also be called "What's on Fred's Phone?" Here are the latest pictures I took, which I suppose is a pretty dumb way to compose a blog entry. Welp, here we go!

📷📷📷

Friday morning was the foggiest I can recall around here. The weather center issued a heavy fog / black ice warning, which is a nice way to start the day. Here is the shot I took, which I think is worthy of hanging in MOMA (MOM's Art collection on the fridge):

Frederick Key, Fog and More Fog (2021)


Fortunately the black ice was not too bad here, and I got to play light saber with my flashlight.

whoom.... whoom

Now, I promised heavy metal classics, and here's one:


It's upside down, but by gum that's an old-fashioned metal garbage can. You hardly ever see these around anymore, since they have have no wheels and have to be carried. But Home Depot does sell the classic galvanized steel one, a 31-gallon model by Behrens, for $25. They can be racoon-proofed with a bungee cord, as long as your racoons are not especially smart or determined. Anyway, I'm glad to see the metal trash can tradition being kept alive. It's almost like finding a rotary phone.

Speaking of old stuff....


So RC Cola, the distant #3 behind Coke and Pepsi, is bringing back the old "Me and My RC" slogan that was in use in the mid-seventies, complete with groovy font. I wonder why. I suppose it was successful, more so than the "Decide for Yourself" campaign of the eighties. but a forty-five-year-old slogan doesn't seem like it would hit that youth demographic sought by beverage manufacturers. I have nothing against RC, but I wonder what they're thinking. Maybe they figure they can snag the old-timers while Coke and Pepsi fight for the Millennials. It's as if in 1975 they revived this campaign, except it would have been only thirty years old at the time, not forty-five.


But I think most of us feel that 1945 feels culturally a lot further from 1975 than 1975 feels from 2021. 

Finally, we have one more chunk of heavy metal, the base for a steampunk automobile.  


Nah, this is part of that annoying cable project they started a couple of weeks ago. The flatbed trailer brought a backhoe to the party, and the wheel was one of several that held a cable sleeve to run underground to allow the cable to be slipped along the curb. It was a pretty big project. They've moved on to running cables along telephone lines now. Since I took the photo the flatbed is gone, but the stupid reel is still sitting there, just off the road. If they don't come back for it by February, I'm selling it for scrap.

 ðŸ“·ðŸ“·ðŸ“·

And that's what was on my camera app. Be here next time when you get to see five shots of my index finger!

No comments: