Sunday, January 24, 2021

Kvetch and release.

Just in case you were wondering, I thought I'd fill you in on my latest peeves. Not my mass peeves, the things that are driving everybody crazy, like government and stupid ideas and cancel culture and whatnot. You look on social media and everyone is running around with his hair on fire. They all know how to run the world, but not one of them can run his own life.

Well, I don't know how to run the world, but I also admit I don't know how to run my life. So here are...

The Peeves



Missing Gloves
Where did all the gloves go? When the stupid Chinese Death Virus was inflicted on the world by the government of China, mask mandates started to pop up quickly, but people were also told to wear latex or similar gloves for safety. The glove issue became so big that news stories on glove litter in shopping center lots were seen throughout the land. Satirical videos on how to throw away latex gloves were found on the Internet. A few months later, poof -- all the gloves had disappeared. No one was wearing them in stores anymore. Why was this? What happened? No one seems to even know. One day a sign went up demanding masks but not mentioning gloves, and then no one was wearing gloves. Was this a mistake? Were gloves the key all along? No one knows, no one cares, just keep moving and hope that the virus goes away. 

Dog Stick Addiction
I'm starting to think my younger dog, Nipper, has a stick issue. He can't pass one by. He stashes sticks all over the yard. I check to see if he's peeing and find him chewing a stick. "What the -- Where the hell did that come from?" He can't just stop at one stick, no; he has to keep looking for more until he's pulled inside, and even then he'll try to sneak a small one in by hiding it in his mouth. "Whatcha got there?" "Nrfng." There's always splinters in his fuzz. He may need stick rehab. It's not just a bad habit -- it's a stickness. 

Guys Blowing Past Stop Signs
No one with little kids or dopey dogs prefers to live on a major thoroughfare, where guys drive like crazy, but living on a side street that parallels a major thoroughfare is almost as bad. Guys trying to avoid the cops go on your street, blow through stop signs, and double the speed limit. I think they've all seen the Fast and Furious movies too many times. They should stick to a film series closer to their own selves -- Dumb and Dumber.

Old Man Winter and Stupid Governor Ruining Plans
I was supposed to meet some friends Thursday morning for an outdoor socially-distant kaffeeklatsch, but I was running a little late because I had called in Tralfaz's thyroid prescription to the vet (on Tuesday) and when I got there was told no one had filled it. I texted my chums to say I might be late, and they said that it was so cold they decided to move to the McDonald's. When I got there they were standing around inside -- because New York's Governor Dumbwad still has the no-indoor-dining rule in place that he imposed in December. Never mind that transmission rates on indoor dining are minuscule, or that the holidays are over. No matter what the data are, I suspect Cuomo will not lift restrictions until Biden bribes him to make things look good in New York. Which, by the way, they are not -- I'm told the hospitals in the Hudson Valley are as bad as they were last April. It's not the restaurants that caused it. But now I'm back on the larger mass peeves. 

Speaking of my dog's unfilled prescription....

Unfilled Prescriptions
I called my own prescription for my back medication to the doctor on Wednesday. This is for the crippling pain I suffered almost a year ago; the doctor has me on duloxetine, an antidepressant that obviously isn't working for me as an antidepressant but has worked wonders for my neuropathic pain. The problem was, the doctor only wanted to give me a 30-day supply with one refill; the insurance company insisted that I get a 90-day supply at least, and the pharmacist was caught in the middle -- and no one told me this was going on. I found out Friday, when I was out of meds and went to get them. The doctor's office was closed when I called. And duloxetine can have significant withdrawal effects. Finally the pharmacist sold me a four-day supply for a sawbuck to get through the weekend, like a pusher. Has this ever happened to you?

And on top of all this...

Someone Used the name The Peeves
I thought that the Peeves would be a perfect name for a band of middle-aged suburban grumps, and guess what -- apparently a band in Chicago is already using the name. There goes my chance to cash in on my bad temper by starting a middle-class MOR rage-punk band. 

Oh, well -- must find gratitude, adjust attitude, and not throw punches. In the words of the philosophic band Yes, release all! Or abandon all hope for your brother! 

No comments: