Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Null-tella.

I'm not planning to turn this page into a regular candy review, but my curiosity keeps getting the better of me. And I pay for my sins.


Hazelnut Spread is the latest variety in a long series of oddly flavored M&M's. I've reviewed some on this site. Some are quite successful; others less so. The hazelnut spread flavor, clearly a move to catch on to the popularity of Nutella, was out in force at the store. The company's marketing shows it to be so delicious that the other M&M's characters actually eat the M&M like cannibals, leaving nothing but his hands and feet. It's a horror show, like those Krave or Cinnamon Toast Crunch commercials.

But so what -- I enjoy Nutella, so I caved in and tried it.

These are the worst.

First of all, let's look at the package design. That M&M-insignia jar of hazelnut spread looks less like a chocolate jar and more like... 💩. I'm sure it's not just me. It's a harbinger.

Second, the taste is just bad. Nutella is overly sweet with lots of chocolate and barely any nut flavor; as one comedienne (can't remember who) said, it's nothing but toast frosting. Like that's a problem. This stuff doesn't taste like that.

Many years ago, children, before Keurigs and Flavias and their knockoffs were everywhere, a small office might have a cheap coffeemaker or two that people could use. The company might buy the supplies, or there might be a fund into which coffee drinkers would contribute. Frequently these would run into a kind of tragedy of the commons -- no one would want to clean the pot or make the coffee; the person stuck buying supplies would get a resentment; people would neglect the fund and take coffee anyway; the tea drinker would complain about inadequate tea; some idiot would drink milk out of the carton; no one would think to turn the thing off; some jerk would leave it on with a milliliter of coffee in the carafe (to avoid having to clean the pot by claiming there was some coffee still in it); some fool would make flavored coffee without asking, like the extremely strong hazelnut; and so on. Sometimes, in a grand coalescence of foolishness, someone would make hazelnut coffee, a tiny bit would be left in the carafe, and no one would turn the pot off, resulting in a burned, blackened ring of stale hazelnut slag in the bottom of the pot, a possible visit from the fire department, and the smell of burned hazelnut coffee permeating the office for days.

THAT is what these M&M's taste like.

Now I think those M&M's in the commercial ate the hazelnut guy to try to stop the madness. Unfortunately the product made it to shelves anyway. You have been warned.

I told you I pay for my sins, and now I saved you some empty calories. Win-win!

5 comments:

bgbear said...

Coffee is a flavor. "Unflavored coffee" is hot water. I tried to make a joke in the office about that once and no one got it and were kind of agry that I did not know what they meant by "flavored coffee. I think coffee drinkers have no sense of humor when it comes to caffeine infusion.

FredKey said...

I'm with you, Bear. I've tried to get into some flavored coffees, but ultimately they were just getting in the way. One exception: My annual cup of Kris Kringle coffee at the QuikChek. Because festive!

Ruffin said...

Oh my, the sister and I liked these. We bought a bag to try them, and fought with the husband who made us share. We bought some more later and they are almost gone. Re: Nutella, sometimes I eat a big glob of it off a spoon, straight out of the jar.

FredKey said...

I dunno, Ruffin -- I thought these had about as much kinship with Nutella as gefilte fish does with salmon almondine.

Ruffin said...

I agree, the M&Ms aren't really nutella-like, but we liked them just for themselves, LOL. My favorite M&Ms are the peanut butter ones.