Monday, May 20, 2019

No golf tees!


I'm still trying to figure out what the little pictogram in the upper left is supposed to be.

This is from an ATM (🏧), and one right here in New York, not in Singapore or Dubai or some other place where I might be excused for not knowing the symbols. I get that your cash deposit is not supposed to be paper-clipped, nor in an envelope; I see that they don't want you to deposit coins, only paper currency. But what's with the golf tees?

I know that you are not supposed to rubber-band or otherwise bind your money, but those little objects don't look like bands or paper straps. Nor should you staple your money, which would be stupid; plus they don't look like staples. Tape? No, not tape.

Ultimately I decided they must be brads, those brass things people use to hold reports and other meeting handouts together. But do people really use those on bills, or even checks? They only work if there's a hole in the paper. Who does that with legal tender?

Maybe I'm wrong, but if I am, then I still don't know what they are or why they are singled out as things you should not put in an automated teller machine. There are many other objects that should not be inserted in ATMs -- neckties, tire irons, footwear, sticks and leaves, and watermelons come to mind. If the golf-tee-like objects are specified, they must be used sometimes in conjunction with money, but why?

If anyone knows, please tell me in the comments, or drop me a line at frederick_key AT yahoo.com. Meanwhile, I'll be trying to decode some genuine foreign symbols:

௹πŸ€‚πŸ™Œπ␦🝚⍷🍒☄πŸ—ΏπŸ©

Weird.

3 comments:

Mongo919 said...

I think your guess is probably right. The only other thing I could come up with is some sort of pin. Maybe some people pin bills together? Pin money?

bgbear said...

Enter your "PIN"

Duh, OK

FredKey said...

OK, kicking myself for not thinking of PIN or pin money, but thanks for being equally baffled!