Sunday, January 21, 2018

The Big Peep.

Casual readers of this site who happen upon days when I write about Just Born's famous Peeps may think I am obsessed with their marshmallow goodness, but I maintain that is not the case. I just like to keep up with what they're doing. In a world of Hersheys and M&M Marses, it's nice to shine some light on the little guys.

Snappy duds

I like the fact that they're always trying something new, those plucky R&D guys at the Peepsery. It may be the Dunkin' Donuts Peep doughnuts of some springtimes past, or Oreo Peep hybrid that supposedly turned your poop pink, or the Peeps Minis that were meant to be the non-seasonal anytime treat (and failed); the Just Born guys cheer the successes, shake off the disappointments, roll up their sleeves, and get back to it.

During the Christmas season we were introduced to Peeps Delights, although I didn't find them until I was looking for cut-price post-holiday wrapping paper.



The theme of the Delights is: Peep dipped in stuff. While the new Delights come in such flavors as Orange dipped in orange fudge and Coconut in dark chocolate, the ones I got were Sugar Cookie in white fudge and Cinnamon Roll in cinnamon fudge. I definitely see the holiday connection with Sugar Cookie; Cinnamon Roll seems like an anytime thing to me.

We submitted these to our taste tester (me). And the verdict?

Depends on the Delight.

I thought the Sugar Cookie was one was very nice; the marshmallow was light on sugar cookie flavor but the white fudge base more than compensated for it. That Peep would be welcome in any season.

The Cinnamon Roll, though, was not too pleasant, the cinnamon taste having an artificial tang and being a poor match with the marshmallow and with the icing. Since more Latin immigrants have entered the U.S. our food companies have been trying to cinnamonize all sorts of products, with mixed results. This, to my taste buds, is unsuccessful.

But keep at it, Peep scientists! Other awesome sounding wintery flavors of Delights included Hot Chocolate and Caramel. I see on the Peep site that a Strawberry Delight is coming for Valentine's Day; Chocolate Mousse and Blueberry are in the offing as well. Surely you'll strike gold with this line -- if we can all just give Peeps a chance.

No comments: