Friday, January 5, 2018

Non-snow day.

So we got nailed by the snowstorm yesterday. The Weather Channel gave it a cute name, but they are just being stupid and I'm not going to encourage them. Named snowstorms are not going to become a thing, Weather Channel. Stop embarrassing yourself.

The kids throughout the Tri-State Area were off, of course, as the roads were genuinely slick and no one was going anywhere. We got it bad, but New York City got it worse. Still, it's a matter of acclimation, and also a matter of degrees, or lack thereof. A relative in Florida told me it was going to 27⁰F yesterday. He had no snow, but that was just six degrees warmer than our high. They're not prepared for these temperatures. Who owns a parka in Florida?

Anyway, the kids may have gotten a snow day, but I did not. Being a self-employed editor means never having to say "I can't make it to work today." As long as I have electricity, I have to work. If I get hard copy, even lack of electricity won't stop me. 

And that's good. I need the moolah. 

But snow days affect me much the way a mild illness does, which I detailed on Christmas Eve. I think I'm going to be able to throw down my responsibilities, check out of life for a day or so, pause, regroup, and reflect.

Thanks to BGBear for the picture, which I totally swiped.
Maybe work on the plot of my new mystery novel, or do some meditation, or read, or just catch up on my napping. Very important, napping, and easy to fall behind.

Not what happens, though. What happens is, instead of a day to rest inside and contemplate, I do all the work I normally do plus shoveling. What I mostly think about is, how many guys my age suffer massive myocardial infarctions while shoveling snow?

Maybe I think too much, sometimes. 

No comments: