Saturday, December 31, 2022

End of the year.

It's nice to shut the door on a year that didn't bring us what we'd hoped, or worse, brought us many things that we would have hoped not to get. Of course we know it's all arbitrary -- tonight 2022 ends, but the Jewish year 5783 started in September and the Chinese new year (it's a rabbit year) doesn't start until January 22. But I guess it's always nice to mark the end of an era and take a moment to assess our experiences and anticipate what's to come. 


I actually finished all my work assignments right at the end of the day Friday, so I have nothing new looking me in the face this weekend. My goals for the weekend: Get to church and sleep. Depending on the pastor, they may be combined. (Rim shot.) I will certainly feel obliged to stay up to midnight, which will mean an overtired puppy tonight and then an overtired both of us Sunday morning. But time and pee wait for no man or beast. On the upside, TCM has apparently listened to its viewers and has reinstated its marathon of Thin Man movies starting at eight tonight.

The past year did not have any personal highlights, and the lowlights were nothing worth mentioning, so I guess that's good. I have grievances, of course -- annoyances that I may compile in list form. Like a lot of folks I often dwell on the little things to avoid thinking about the big things. People will say "Don't sweat the small stuff!" but they will also say "Watch the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves." Culture is contradictory to the point of insanity. 

So what are your hopes for the new year? Maybe regrets from the old year? Let's hear about them in comments. See you there, if I'm not too sleepy to read them.  

4 comments:

peacelovewoodstock said...

Happy New Year, VF!

2022 sucked less than 2021, let's hope that trend continues into 2023!!

I'm giving up drinking for the new year.

Wait, messed up the punctuation. Meant to say:

I'm giving up.

Drinking for the new year.



technochitlin said...

^^LOL^^
As long as I ignore politics, the good of '22 outweighed the bad. Too bad politics tries to take over our very lives.

Your blog is one of the 'good spots' I visit daily; here's hoping all goes well for you in the upcoming year. One can hope, right? Right?

Robert said...

Happy New Year!

Yes, nice to see the Thin Man movies back. I may or may not stay up.

rbj13

FredKey said...

Thank you, lads! Keep hope alive!