Thursday, March 31, 2022

Duck and cover.

Yes, it looks like it's the return of Duck & Cover!

🦆+📔 

No, not the act that killed vaudeville, nor the world's worst law firm, nor even my excellent duck-centric novel available in serial form on Amazon.


I am of course referring to the classic rules for survival in the event of a nuclear blast, to duck down and take cover. I had a science teacher in high school who, during what we called "shelter drills," said sarcastically that this would protect us from the nuclear holocaust. He was right, in a way, especially since being in New York City, I figured we'd go up like a Roman candle in the first breath of a nuclear exchange. Duck and cover wasn't a bad idea, if we still were dealing with A-bombs; in the bombing of Hiroshima, 30 percent of the immediate deaths were caused by falling debris. But by the time I was a kid we had ICBMs with H-bombs, so we were all going to be crispy critters, as they used to say. 

Which brings us to this, for which I wish I could take credit, or at least thank the person responsible:



Well, it's spring now, but that's all right. Missiles don't care.

I don't think we're going to get into a Fun With Nukes situation, despite provocative news (possibly disinformation) that Russian leadership is chilling in the bunker like aging steaks. Besides, the American ruling class hates its own people so much, they might be perfectly happy to let a couple of cities go and sue for peace. As long as they're in Texas or Florida, anyway. 

I guess I'm in a crappy mood to start this Thursday. Got any good news?

4 comments:

Stiiv said...

Yes, I do have some good news. PLW posted a really nice newspaper hinder on The Bleat. ;>

FredKey said...

Boy oh boy, I'll say! Things are looking up! Uh, you know what I mean...

Dan said...

We lived in NJ about twenty miles outside of Philly. I kinda figured the duck'n'cover was to protect us from falling debris, not from the blast itself. Even I, as a grade-schooler at St. Pat's, knew it wouldn't protect us from a direct (or even near) hit.

🐻 bgbear said...

Lots of flying glass too