Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Made it!

Thank God, we survived February this year with nothing horrible happening. Seemed like a close call a few times. We had more ice around than Saskatchewan, but I only took one fall, and it was facing uphill. 


Trust me when I tell you novenas were being said. We had gotten to feel like we could not get through February without illness, death, or injury, so this was a win. I greatly sympathize with all those for whom February has been crueler this year -- I know how you feel. 

That's about all I have to say, except, in tribute to frequent commenter PL Woodstock, I wrote the following:




The great actor Frederic March was known to drop into Maguire's Saloon now and then. One evening a few patrons noticed him enter, looking quite tired after a long day on the set. 

"The usual, Mr. March?" asked Maguire, behind the stick. 

"No, Mags, I need something to give me some pick-me-up," said March. "Goldwyn's got a party later and I have almost no energy at all."

"I got you, sir. Hang on." 

Maguire quickly mixed up his Electric City Special, named for his hometown of Schenectady -- cold black coffee with two shots of rye and a twist of lemon, on the rocks. "Just drink this down quick."

March did, and sat straight up on his stool. "Wow, that was terrific!" he said, but the drink went right to his head. He slumped onto the bar, out cold. 

"Didn't work, huh, Mags?" said Gig Young from down the bar. 

"Oh, you know March," said Maguire. "In like an ion, out like a lamp."

🥁

2 comments:

peacelovewoodstock said...

I can't not point out that if Tuesday Weld had married Hal March's son, she'd be Tuesday March the Second.

FredKey said...

No, of course you can't not. I'd expect not any nothing less.