Saturday, March 26, 2022

Stung.

Pardon me for not getting up, but I just got my taxes done. 


The problem is, I made too much money last year. It sure didn't feel like it, but when my accountant added up the figures, that was the answer. The thing is, as a freelancer, or I guess any kind of small-business operator, you are always paying your taxes based on the previous year. So, since I did well in 2019, I had to pay a lot, and I paid installments against my earnings in 2020. Then 2020 sucked, and I lost a big client, and got money back, so I didn't have to pay installments going forward. Then I worked my patootie off in 2021, and now this. My wife's earnings were way down, but that doesn't matter because she pays out of payroll like a normal human being. The government likes to get its cut up front, you know, and punishes you if it doesn’t.

For all my personal agony, I could stand it if they weren’t blowing far more than they take in, and on so much imbecilic garbage. 

I guess taxes and death really are inevitable, but while St. Paul could ask ironically, “Death, where is thy sting?” no one ever has to ask that of taxes. 


5 comments:

Stiiv said...

St. Paul could ask ironically, “Death, where is thy sting?” no one ever has to ask that of taxes.

Doubly ironic, as when Paul was Saul he was a tax collector. ;>

Mongo919 said...

Did you check the box to give $3 to the Presidential campaign fund? There's another imbecilic way for them fritter away your money.

peacelovewoodstock said...

C'mon, Fred, don't you want to do your share and help Build Back Better?

J.K.

Biden wants the IRS to hire 10,000 more examiners, they believe there is something like a $1 Trillion tax gap in terms of taxes owed but not paid. Notably, the IRS believes that most of that gap is on the lower income side.

Hey, I just learned that yesterday was National Peacock Day, which is fitting in light of St. Peter's awesome victory last night.

FredKey said...

$3 for the campaign fund? It used to be $1. Don't tell me there's no inflation.

Hey Woodstock--although I'd hate to jinx it, more on the Peacocks tomorrow!

Robert said...

Ok, ok, I'll get to my taxes today.

rbj