Wednesday, March 23, 2022

An ill A/C that blows no good.

Spring has sprung, and summer will be here before we know it, and so the air conditioner decided it was time to give up all hope and die. Yes, just when I thought there was nothing left that could squeeze blood out of the turnip that is my wallet, we tested the compressor and found that the only reason the air coming through the vents seemed cool was because it was cool outside. 

I dunno; looks fine to me.

That was last week. On Tuesday a very fine chap came to see us from a large local HVAC/plumbing outfit, ready to check out our system and see what was what. We did not call the people who installed the thing nine years ago. I'm exceptionally glad for that, for a reason I will get to shortly.

Well, it turns out that the unit was all gunked up and full of debris. Okay, that's on me. I never hosed it off or whatever I was supposed to do. In fact, I haven't covered it for the last two winters because by the time we were sure we were past the warm days, there was half a foot of snow on it. Decembers have been a little weird here, and with my wife there is no covering the A/C before jingle bells are in the air. Just trust me on this.

So yes, the fact that the unit had enough grass and such in it for a hayride was my fault. However, it turned out that the copper pipe that held coolant (if I am remembering this correctly) was not brazed by the installers but soldered. Soldering is easier, as it is done at a lower temperature, but results in a weaker joint, more likely to -- what's that technical term? -- oh yeah: leak. And leak it has done, until there's virtually no coolant left. 

The pleasant fellow from the HVAC outfit gave me a comprehensive report at the end, leaving us with three choices to deal with the matter: 

1) Take everything apart, clean it, replace coolant, properly install fittings: four thousand clams

2) Same as #1, but also include motor boosters, line voltage switches, etc.: six thousand clams

3) Install a new unit: unknown (If you have to ask, you don't have enough clams)

Do these prices seem in line to you? Apparently the coolant, R-410A, is made from solid gold and unicorn blood, because it alone comes in on the estimate at almost a thousand clams. I hear it's being phased out for something more environmentally friendly, which to me means the replacement will be less effective and more expensive. Supposedly we have a 5-ton unit (however that's measured), which means a couple of pounds of R-410A are needed. This price seems incredible.

If we have no choice but the ones listed, I think we'll go cheap, because we're not planning to live in this house another nine years. There's no way to get out of paying something here. Summer with no central A/C is not an option in my home. Just trust me on this. 

4 comments:

Mongo919 said...

The prices seem a bit high, but you're in NY, so everything is higher than here in VA.

We had all new HVAC installed here two years ago. A new heat pump in the attic for the upstairs heating and cooling, a new outside unit for the heat pump, and a new outside unit for the main level air conditioning. Main level heating is by natural gas, and the furnace was fine. Total for all the work and equipment was about 14K. The company had a deal for 12 months without interest, so we did that.

EPA has screwed around with the coolant so much that everything used eventually gets banned. So if you have to recharge with the old stuff, it's ghastly expensive. 1K sounds about right.

Stay cool this summer, Fred!

peacelovewoodstock said...

VF>Do these prices seem in line to you?

No. I would immediately get a second, and a third estimate, maybe a fourth.

Option 1 sounds like an hour or so of labor to clean out, a pressure washer would be good, there should be no need to disassemble. Brazing the leaking copper maybe another hour. 10# of R410-A costs about $250 retail. Total should be well under $1,000 IMO.

By the way, you can get a brand new 5-ton compressor complete with R410-A for under $2K delivered. https://www.acwholesalers.com/Goodman-GSX130611/p26408.html

I used to look after my mom when she was alone in the big old house we grew up in, I can't tell you how many times service companies would come in and try to scare her into spending thousands on things that could be properly fixed for hundreds.

Robert said...

A few years ago, when I was still in Toledo I got a random phone call from the furnace company (they had installed it about 25 years ago) asking if I wanted them to inspect the natural gas forced air unit.
Nah, it works just fine. OK.

7 pm on a January Friday night and the igniter decided to give up the ghost. Coldest night of the year. So I had to make the dreaded call. The guy was at the gas station on his way home. So of course I had to pay the 7 pm Friday night extra. New one in place and I was fine.

The boss showed up unexpectedly Saturday morning to inspect.

He was not happy. He wouldn't have installed the igniter. I had cracked burners. Two options, $3K or $5K. I chose the cheaper version.

Get more estimates, go the cheap route.

rbj

Iqra Bashir said...

Thanks for sharing. R410A refrigerant is specifically intended for use in new air conditioning applications that traditionally would have used R-22.