Monday, March 30, 2020

Surviving Walmart.

For the second week in a row I went shopping early on Sunday morning. I have never planned so hard for a mere restocking of supplies, not even when planning a major get-together or holiday event.

Why Walmart? A couple of reasons: 1) You can usually count on them to have the basics, whatever the crisis, and 2) I needed a doorknob. The supermarkets don't carry doorknobs.

Even though I had been successful the week before, the constant drone of the viral news was making me a bit nervous. I mean, anyone who's ever seen the People of Walmart site could be unnerved by making an off-hours jaunt to that fabled retailer anyway. However, I think that those People are usually spotted in the late-night hours, and currently Walmart has no late-night hours. Even they are closing to sanitize the shop.

As for the doorknob, the doorknob on the downstairs can, after years of faithful service, was starting to make a click and thud sound when turned. I did not get to be this age without knowing that something was broken inside, and eventually someone was going to wind up locked in the bathroom. So a new knob was in order. And I did find it, as I found everything I was looking for there, with minor omissions.

TP Report: There was a posted notice of One TP Per Customer, and yet the only package I saw was a Scottissue multipack that had a tear in the plastic. Fortunately we are still living large off the Cottonelle I got at BJ's before all this went down. And I would have been reluctant to go with Scott brand anyway. I grew up with that in the house, and that's why I have a flat behind -- it was sanded down throughout my childhood.

But (ha!) that's TMI. The trip was a success, and was followed by a successful stop at the supermarket for produce and other things that Walmart does not do well. I was very fortunate, or blessed, as I am still in a good deal of back and leg pain since my awful hospital visit in February. I can barely walk a quarter of a mile without burning pain that may or may not go away if I crouch down for a short rest. Well, I was able to do the whole run without much discomfort, and that's a major win.

There were many reminders present of the Coronapocalypse, however.

Mask and glove report: Only about a quarter of the supermarket patrons wore masks; for Walmart, it was closer to half. Maybe half the supermarket shoppers had some kind of gloves on, but Walmart, close to 75%, including me. I had no masks, but I had one pair of latex gloves. I decided to choose which store to use it in, since I didn't want to transfer any germs into my car by wearing them throughout my expedition, and I didn't want to buy any since we had more at home, and you could probably guess why I chose to wear them in Walmart.

Shopping is still a very strange event. Fortunately we seem to be past the bulk of the hoarding craze, even though we don't know when all this will be over.

As I say, to make a trip like this efficiently required much planning. We still live in times of plenty; we just seem to have to overthink everything. And when I say We I mean I.

4 comments:

Mongo919 said...

Our local supermarket (Kroger) has special geezer shopping from 0700 - 0800 Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. I went last Thursday, and about 25% of shoppers had masks or gloves. They spend all night disinfecting and restocking, so they had most things available including TP, though paper towels and sanitizing products were absent.

Got takeout yesterday from our local pub, including several bottles of ice cold IPA. That made the day!

FredKey said...

Beer to go! Obviously you don't live in New York! Or any other northeast state.

Ruffin said...

We did geezer shopping at Costco last week so we could score a TP. There's three of us here (my sister got trapped her by the quarantine)and was starting to run low. Today I did a pickup at a local chain grocery so I didn't have to spend time in there. My husband has heart and lung problems so I protect him as much as I can. Fred, check to make sure your dog treats are made in the US. You don't want to feed them ones manufactured in China. Not because of the virus, but I've been avoiding them for years because of contamination.

Stiiv said...

PA now allows beer delivery, & Big Woody's of Allentown leads the way! Last time my brother was here he got two sixpacks of Miller bottles & a large pepperoni pizza delivered to my place for $35.