Friday, December 6, 2019

Yuletide Vote, or North Poll.

I am pressed for time today, so this is a lousy entry -- but I do have a serious topic on my mind and I'd like your input.

What's for eats?

I'm supposed to make dinner on Christmas Day this year. That's not unusual; I've done it in the past. While my wife does most of the Thanksgiving wrangling, I'm the Christmas go-to chef. But I don't know what to make. We have no truly traditional foods from either side of the family, although my grandmother used to do a pork roast and my wife can't tolerate pork roast. (I make the decision but she has veto power.) Neither of us had an Italian grandmother who made the feast of the seven fishes, six eels, five manicottis, four scungilli, three calzones, two lasagnas, and a pernice in un pero.

Here's one idea I had: The McDLT. It's red and green; look! Festive!


Just three small problems with that. 1) McDonald's hasn't made the McDLT since 1991. 2) Even our local McDonald's is probably going to be closed on Christmas Day. 3) My wife would veto this so hard you'll be able to hear it from wherever you are.

So here are some actual or close to actual ideas I've been kicking around:

Beef Wellington -- First time I made it, it was perfect. Every subsequent time the bottom of the pastry got mushy. No idea why.

Roast Beef Tenderloin -- EZPZ, but is it special enough for a landmark dinner?

Beef Stroganoff -- Ditto above; make this several times a year anyway. I leave the onions in. Don't tell the Russians.

Braised Lamb Shanks -- Delicious but too Eastery.

Alaskan King Crab Legs -- Also delicious, but so much work for the diners. Messy.

So these are some of my options. As you can tell, one way or another this is gonna cost me.

What do you think? More importantly, what is your main course on Christmas or any other major holiday gathering?

I'll tell you up front that Pop-Tarts and beer are right out. You have one off-year and no one ever forgets....

4 comments:

peacelovewoodstock said...

Try a pork crown roast ... mmmmmmmm

Have to have a good butcher, these aren't typical Safeway items.

snufflebear said...

Shepherd's Pie will surprise them. If you want more exotic do the Greek version Moussaka.

If my sister and nephews come over for Christmas Eve I'll do a roast beast to distinguish from Thanksgiving, but I like a turkey for Christmas Day.

Mongo919 said...

Fresh grilled swordfish with drawn butter and garlic, mashed baby red potatoes, grilled asparagus. Great with a New Zealand (Marlbourough) Sauvignon Blanc (I like Chalkboard). Easy, rich, delicious, and unexpected.

FredKey said...

Thanks for the thoughts, lads! Now, Stiiv, I think one has to buy the Chinese food, not make it, in order to be Jewish. Plus I don't know that there are any movies playing this Christmas I want to see....