Thursday, December 5, 2019

Ferocious bear adventure!

Yesterday afternoon I went on a secret bear mission in honor of the dead. I had to brave danger, come face-to-face with the bear itself, penetrate a structure in which I did not belong that was intended to keep out the likes of me, and escape quickly, all to keep a sacred promise to a friend.

Sounds pretty great, huh? Such high adventure!

I wish I could thrill you with pictures of the ferocious beast I wrestled, but I was unable to get a good photo. That's because he was wrapped in plastic. I thought it was best to keep him that way. Here's one of his relatives.


My friend's grandfather started a charity that collects teddy bears for children who will be hospitalized over Christmas. Although the grandfather has passed away, his family keeps his charity and his memory alive by collecting bears for the kids. So I ordered a bear, coming nose-to-nose with the monster when I got it out of the box, and the fight began -- the fight to fulfill my promise or to keep the cuddly bear myself, acting like the Winter Warlock with his choo-choo.




But no, my word is my bond, so off we went to the drop-off box at the American Legion. As a non-veteran, I am not entitled to join the Legion, which is why I describe the place as closed off to my kind. Indeed, the members' room seemed to be locked with an electronic key when I arrived, and I couldn't get in. One of the guys at the bar saw me through the window, though, and opened the door. The door was just stuck, not locked. He pointed me to the collection box, near the pool table, and my ferocious bear joined his ursine fellows in its depths. Then I got out quickly -- I had work on my desk to do.

So that was yesterday's big adventure, and jolly good it was. I was happy to help out, and I know that bear will be a great comfort to some boy or girl who needs comforting.

Oh, the danger part? Meh, still some icy spots on the roads out there. Had to drive carefully.

5 comments:

peacelovewoodstock said...

When I was in my twenties, my boss took me to an American Legion hall for a couple of beers.

I felt pretty honored, but truth be told, it was basically a dive bar, the kind of place that's half full of solitary drinkers at 10 AM.

Mind you, the idea of getting a buzz on at 10 am on a weekday was not totally unappealing to me at the time, as I wanted to rock and roll all night an party every day.

After the experience I actually tried to clean up my act a bit, what seemed cool in my twenties didn't look so good on guys in their sixties.

Kudos to Fred for making the effort to bring a bit of cheer to kids who really need it.

bgbear said...

Snuffles bear, a classic original of Gund. He turns 40 next year. Good choice.

Dan said...

Well, Fred, though you're not a vet, this vet's hat is off to you. Well done.

Stiiv said...

Good work, Fred!

FredKey said...

Thanks, gents -- and trust BG to not only know the bear make and model but age! Yeah, Snuffles is sweet.