Thursday, December 19, 2019

Ice capuppies.

Tuesday was the first day I recall our local schools closing entirely because of rain, but to be fair, it was freezing rain. And it was pretty bad.


Every flat surface, every branch of tree, every blade of grass was coated with layers of ice.



Of course this meant I was determined to be careful to the point of paranoia. I didn't want to reenact last winter's Skaters' Waltz and the resultant injury. The grass is crunchy and its texture helped with the footing, although it was a bit slick; it was also softer than concrete, helpful in case of sudden gravitational intervention.

The dogs didn't mind it a bit. They enjoy chewing on ice and even rolling on that nice crunchy grass. I saw the little guy slip on the driveway, but what does he care? He can only fall a few inches. Besides, he has four-paw drive. For the first time I agreed with Napoleon the pig -- four legs good, two legs bad. Sure, two-leggedness enables us to use these hands of ours, and helps us see over most obstacles, but none of that is helpful when you're flat-out on the sidewalk wondering if you broke anything.

This is the kind of weather that turns everything upside down. Keep on the grass. Do not walk on the walkway.

It was sunny Wednesday morning, and the temperature was expected to peek its head just above freezing, so I put down close to forty pounds of rock salt. I sprinkled it on the driveway, the walkway, the sidewalk. I made it so salty that the FDA was ready to sue me for causing pavement hypertension. And the ice was getting good and melty.

Three p.m.: Snow started.

I had been out and noted the dark skies. Still dark when I got back in my office. Went to get changed. By then everything was white outside.

What the heckin' heck --- !

Just a snow squall, over by 3:20. But it helped dissolve my salt. Then, frigid temperatures and wind. Black ice on the cleared spots. This morning it was -6 with the windchill.

And winter is still not starting until Sunday.

I'm not entirely sure that nature is trying to kill me, and yet I'm not entirely sure it isn't, either. But it's making my furry friends happy, so good for them.

😠

2 comments:

peacelovewoodstock said...

Here in Northern Virginia we have had one minor snow squall. We have recently had winters with basically no snow, and winters with 40" blizzards and there's just no predicting.

NOAA is saying probably (70% chance) no "El Nino" this year, I think that means fewer winter storms for us.

And that photo of the frozen grass made me think of Thai glass noodles, yum.

FredKey said...

Well, the dogs like to eat the ice, as I said, but I will not connect that to any aspersions on Thai food.