Friday, December 7, 2018

What have I done?

I was shopping on Wednesday and saw this:


Yes, the Hallmark Spin-A-Song Musical Toilet Roll Holder was available in the Hallmark section, along with all that high-end Hallmark wrapping paper and high-class "Wishing you the happiest from afar" cards.

This, of course, brings us some difficult questions:

1) What is Hallmark thinking? A company that prides itself on good taste doing anything toilet-related is hard to understand, unless that company actually sells plumbing supplies. And lest you think Hallmark found a way to make a musical toilet roll holder high-brow, have a look at the video on this link and tell me if you still stink, uh, think so. Is Hallmark easing down to that coveted lowest-common-denominator demo? Do they regret missing out on that Big Mouth Billy Bass money in the 90's?

2) This is the kind of thing that ought to be in Spencer's Gifts, the mallrat haven of bad taste, in which most teens would rather die than be seen with their mom. It may have its charms -- but does Hallmark belong there? I think not.

3) What have I done? When I met my wife she had quite a lot of dignity and good bearing, and hated toilet humor. When I played that video for her she was ready to fall off her chair laughing. I think I've been a bad influence, people. I am so ashamed.

I guess it's the way of the world. Christmas is not only getting too commercial; it's getting too crass. And even Hallmark is in on it.

3 comments:

raf said...

"I think I've been a bad influence, people."

I thought that went without saying. But now ....

Mongo919 said...

We live in a graceless age. Bumper stickers that read "Don't like my driving? Call 1-800-EAT-****". Pachydermal women in yoga pants. CNN hysteria that makes Jerry Springer look like Edward R. Murrow. Deodorant commercials requiring detailed closeups of the application process. Pretty soon the Charmin bears will have the same level of detail. Toilet roll dispensers emulating BM sounds are almost mandatory. Right now it's seasonal, before long they'll be required by code in all new housing!

Fred, you're in upstate NY. Ever been to the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome show? Much fun. If we get up that way, I'll treat!

FredKey said...

Spot on as always, raf!

Hi, Mongo -- no, actually never been to an airshow at all! Growing up in the city, airshows were not a common activity. Please let me know if you are coming up this way. It's an hour or so north of here, not far. I see they do a World War I flying ace battle -- wooo!