Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Christmas morning.

Hello, all, and merry Christmas to you! Or at least a happy one. "Merry" always seems too indicate running around, drinking and acting like a fool. Some people prefer a milder, more reflective Christmas. "Happy" covers all.

So yesterday morning we had a little taste of snow, just to remind us it was A) winter and B) Christmas Eve:


But it all melted by lunchtime.

Not that there wasn't enough snow around, at least in decorative form:


I still can't figure out if that snowman's carrot is on backward.

Traipsing around with Tralfaz, Senior Varsity Dog, one might also see such sights as the Deflatables -- inflatable decor that had spent the whole night riding high on fans and electric bulbs, but look like garbage in the cold light of day. I don't want to pick on them, but it appears that Santa had a rough night.



Which is why I'm more partial to the old-fashioned hard plastics.


When I was a kid, which hardly seems like any time ago at all, plastic anything was considered a vile mockery of real tradition by the right people. I never felt that way, but now this kind of decoration seems charmingly old-fashioned. And yes, it's nonbiodegradable, but it lasts and lasts. This fellow here must be thirty years old. I doubt many inflatable decorations can last that long.

But I'm always cheered by whatever is on the lawn for holiday purposes. They all look great:



Lookie what he can do!



Um... About that last one. I know it's a Christmas decoration because I've passed that house many times and there was no swan sleigh out front. Now, it's a nice object, looks handmade, and something about the paint style says early 1970's to me. It would only fit a toddler, but what would pull it? A Labradoodle? And what makes it a Christmas decoration? Seven swans a-swimming? Swan Lake meets the Nutcracker Suite? If any of the home's occupants had been around I would have asked. If I get an update I'll pass it on.

Church was last night -- ours has an early vigil for screaming children and the Midnight Mass for people who, unlike me, can stay awake in public places at 1:00 a.m. without falling into a slobbering doze. Fortunately there is another Mass at 8:00 on Christmas Eve, and we got there.

As for our Christmas dinner, no ham for me:

Ain't no beef or ham for Fred
Chicken it won't be!
Gonna eat some lamb instead
Turkey ain't for me!
Oh, I'm gettin' mutton for Christmas...

A few months ago I tried a slow-cooker lamb shanks recipe that went over so well it got elevated to Best Fred Food status, making it the top choice for Christmas dinner. So that's what we're eating, if I don't forget to plug the pot in; I hope your dinner is even better.

Happy and/or Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good day!

No comments: