Friday, December 14, 2018

Decoration roundup.

I've said that we don't go in for Santa shaming on this site, which is trying to shame those who leave their Christmas decorations up too long. And we (mostly) don't. Furthermore, though we will critique decorations, as we have done twice this week already, we appreciate anyone going to the effort of sharing decorative cheer to passers-by, and do not intend this roundup to be construed as a means of making fun of anyone. Unless we do.

And away we go!


I love these old-fashioned plastic light-up figures. So many classic varieties, like angels, choirs, Nativity figures, lampposts, snowmen, and as shown here, Santa, with a prehistoric version of a Google Maps pin. Where I grew up in the city, you often saw postage-stamp front yards filled with these things. Now inflatables are more often the lawn ornament of the day, but most of those require constantly running fans to stay inflated, and during the day they lay in a heap like old socks. So I love this classic display, although the North Pole is looking a little warm. 



Ich bin ein Berliner!

(I mentioned this wall over a month ago as being one of the first things around the neighborhood to get decorated. For all I know they're doing human sacrifices back there. But they're festive!)


I had also mentioned back in Halloweentide the preponderance of scarecrow decorations. As it turns out, some are in a appropriate colors to double as Christmas decorations. Sort of.


Spider-Man, Spider-Man
Helps out Santa Claus when he can
Wears his red Spidey socks
Sits on my Christmas box
Hey, there!
Lift up your Spider-Can!


When your display uses stadium lightbulbs.


I love this one, although not sure where Cinderella's carriage enters into it. My dog (older one, Tralfaz, who is five and should know better) actually barked at the fake dogs.



Which makes me wonder if the many live deer we have in these environs have freaked out from the fake reindeer. "Look, Jerry! They're... not real! Ooh, this is like that creepy Twilight Zone episode with Barry Nelson! RUN!"


One of my favorite decorations -- the welcoming sign of coffee at the QuickChek. "But Fred!" you say. "Aren't you addicted to Dunkin' Donuts?" Yes, and although I usually don't like flavored coffees, I have to have QuikCheck's Kris Kringle coffee (vanilla, coconut, cocoa) in December. Festive!

Finally, as the song says, the prettiest sight you'll see is the holly that will be on your own front door -- well, I'll go with the tree inside, and one of my favorite ornaments.


And may peace be with you.

No comments: