Wednesday, February 3, 2016

In the meadow we will build a no man.

I was very happy to see yesterday that Punxsutawney Phil and Staten Island Chuck, those two great rodent meteorologists, failed to see their shadows, so we are due for an early spring. Their predictions seldom align, so I think we can call this one a lock.

Sadly, Winnipeg Willow croaked just days before her forecast, leading some to believe she was done in by a consortium of Canadian snow shovel manufacturers and ski resort owners, a shadowy group called Big Brrrr.

Interestingly, we have not even had that much of a winter here in the lower Hudson Valley. One big snow last week, but far less than they got in South Jersey. I built a snowman in the front yard; he kind of sucked, but he sucked a lot more a few days later. This was what was left on Monday:



And this was Tuesday:



And today it's supposed to be in the 50's and rainy.

As I've said before, this is the weather than brings out the weather worriers, those who feel a spiteful Gaia is going to smite us starting with the Maldives, but I have no fear. I vividly recall last year, when we were already so socked in by layers of ice and snow (I could walk across it on the lawn without sinking, honest) that when Phil called for six more weeks of winter I was ready to kill and eat the little furry freak. So was everyone else in New York and Pennsylvania.

But so far so good, and no complaints.

I saw Frosty beating cheeks to grab the last train to Saskatchewan, so he's heading for the North Pole. His lack of confidence in this winter fills me with hope.


No comments: