Sunday, February 14, 2016

Ice sculpture.

This was a weird piece of modern art:


I think this may be what inspired Frank Gehry's Louis Vuitton building.

This impromptu sculpture is exactly what it looks like---a thick wedge held up by a thin strip of ice. It didn't start life this way. The kid next door was trying to build a snowman weeks ago, but the snow was not good packing snow. She managed to get a ball-shaped base done, but then it was time to do whatever else it is kids do on a snow day.

Then came a lot of melting, and then a lot of freezing, and this is what happened.

If I'd known, I'd have put a time-lapse camera on it, because I think the melting pattern would have to be analyzed by the physicists on Outrageous Acts of Science. I've never seen anything quite like it.

And I think it will be around for generations to admire. I took this shot a few days ago, and then the mercury plummeted like Wile E. Coyote. It was -6 degrees without the windchill when I first went out with Superdog the Impervious; my weather app listed the windchill as "You Don't Want to Know." And I didn't. This thing will likely be frozen rock hard until halfway through the first Trump administration. Talk about the winter of our discontent.

And speaking of which...


Just a modest suggestion.

No comments: