Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Hero(s).

This entry isn't about heroes, really, or maybe it is. Everyone has a favorite teacher, even if one came up through the New York City public schools as I did. Mine in high school was an English teacher who, while firm about the nuts-and-bolts of reading and writing, was generous in support about essays and stories and interpretation. 

But first, a word about spelling. 


English spelling is hard, and that's a fact. I wonder how anyone ever learns it without growing up immersed in it. It features so many rules that are rock-solid until they are not, like the old i-before-e-except-after-c-and-neighbor-and-weigh... Does it even count as a rule if it has so many exceptions? And what makes C so special that it changes the i-e configuration? 

The rule that I want to mention today is the -es for plurals that end in a vowel, except when they don't. Tubas doesn't count; mercies does, although you also turn the y in mercy into an i because the word has a consonant before the y. If the word has a vowel before the y, you don't turn the y into an i, as in donkeys. Unless you do--monies is becoming more common than moneys, for example, although monkeys keeps its y. 

When a noun ends in an o, as in potato, it almost always gets an -es plural. But the same rule applies; if the word ends in a vowel + o, as in ratio, it gets no e (ratios). Thus, the plural of hero is heroes, since the letter before the o is a consonant. 

That was one plural I had down solid. I was a comic book nerd into and through and beyond my high school years (Oh, really, Fred? Who'd have guessed?) and I knew DC had the World's Greatest Heroes. So when my favorite teacher wrote heros on the board, starting a lesson on literary heroes, I pointed out the missing e.

"Heroes is spelled with an es at the end," I said.

"No it isn't," she said, looking sore at me for about the only time I can remember, and continued on with the lesson.

I was shocked, maybe more so than was worthy of the occasion. And yet, a girl I mooned after in the class, a beautiful elfin girl with almost white-blond hair, turned around in her chair to look at me and mouthed You're right! Which almost made it worth while. 

It's funny that of all the things I enjoyed in that class, that one misspelled moment sticks out in my memory the most. (And I was right; Merriam-Webster allows a lot of alternate spellings or words, as seen in a rather long article on this topic here, but only allows heroes as the plural of hero.

My teacher really was excellent, so much so that I would look forward to her class even if I had forgotten to do my homework. In my senior year I joined the literary magazine staff in part because she was the faculty advisor. She strongly encouraged my writing, more than anyone ever had before and -- alas! -- probably has since. But she spelled a word wrong in big letters, and may have just gotten angry because I corrected her in front of the class like the dweeb I was. 

Oh, well. I'm a better man and a better writer and editor than I would have been if I hadn't studied under her. As far as I am concerned, she'll always be one of my heroes. Or heros. Whichever she prefers.  

6 comments:

peacelovewoodstock said...

I guess "heroine" and "heroines" is out of favor due to being constructs of male patriarchal dominance and all that. Also sound too much like opioids.

So I asked Mrs. PLW "how do you spell 'invulnerable'?" and she started "I, N, V, U .. " at which point I interrupted "Everyone does, because I'm awesome!"

But she just looked at me and frowned.

Sandyprice said...

"I" before "E" except after "C,"
or when sounded like "A" as in neighbor and weigh.

You might as well just accept it.

It's SCIENCE.

WEIRD SCIENCE.

Mongo919 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mongo919 said...

Why deleted? Anyway, my mother was a public High School English teacher for 25 years. I couldn't write a Christmas card, thank you note, or grocery list without it being scrutinized for grammar and spelling. She finally took to texting toward the end of her life and I was let out of class. Lol, ILY Mom.

Fiendish Man said...

I feel like this entry is some kind of attack on Flangepart.

🐻 bgbear said...

Creative spelling is all the rage with the kiddos. Flange is ahead of the crowd.

I had an assistant manager boss who could not spell even in a flangy style. He left out syllables (eg "vactoin" for "vacation"). I wondered if he was dyslectic. I did not care I just wanted him to be honest about it and not get defensive if someone felt the need to point it out.