Friday, April 15, 2022

Death in the family.

When I was a young lad about town some years ago, I and some friends went to the Old Town Bar on Good Friday to imbibe. We found it dark, with a sign on the door saying Closed Due to Death in Family 2000 Years Ago

A bar closing on a Friday! Now that's a sacrifice. 

And, after all, today is a day of sacrifice. Some are not that difficult. I feel better than I did yesterday, but my normal -- perhaps my normal abnormal -- appetite for food is still diminished. We'll abstain from meat at dinner, which is no big deal. Of course, there's already Easter chocolate in the house, but I can resist that too. The only danger there is that I'm such a knucklehead for candy I might grab for one without thinking. 

Dove chocolate. It could only be more suitable if the brand were Lamb chocolate.

My wife took the day off to focus on its significance, but I'll be working. If freelancers had a flag its motto would be Nullum opus, nullum stipendium, or No work, no pay.

But I won't forget today is the day to remember this. 




2 comments:

Mongo919 said...

Glad to hear you're a little better, Fred. I hope your day and weekend go well. I know this holiday is very meaningful to you, and is not just about marshmallow peeps and chocolate bunnies.

FredKey said...

No, but marshmallow and chocolate are still important!