Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Gas attack.

Ouch.


Behold, the cost of fill-up for lowest octane gasoline at the cheapest station in our New York town.

No one knows why it's so pricey just now! It's so bizarre! And yet people who are not insane or lying know that printing money and restricting goods causes inflation, and Washington is doing both, especially for gasoline. Wages rise due to inflationary pressures too, but prices always rise faster than wages. 

Since I don't drive 80 miles round trip to work anymore, I don't fill up very often, but plenty of people I know do a lot of driving and not for fun. They can't restrict the amount they drive. But whether we fill up or not we will pay, because gas prices make everything else more expensive. I'd guess that oil is more important to inflation than any other commodity, because everything has to be delivered. 

That's right, you Goop-loving Coachella-going ladies; even the quaintest little bobo shop has to bring things in. That place that makes its own chocolate, the one that brews its own beer, the one with the amazing florist who makes such adorable arrangements, the place that throws its own pots or makes its own candles -- none of these is mining and farming for supplies in the shop cellar. 

Leonard E. Read's famous essay "I, Pencil" should be mandatory reading in middle school, and again in high school. Materials have to be delivered. Rising fuel prices mean higher wholesale prices, and more money that the shop owner has to charge.

Unfortunately it's not the class who thinks we can replace gas and nukes with windmills, solar, and other bronze age tech that suffers. It's people who have to keep a close eye on spending or face the possibility of ruin, however harder or smarter they work.

But it's all fine for our wealthy elites. You know, I always thought "FU money" meant having enough dough to be able to tell those who would impinge your freedom to go jump in the lake. Turns out that to our elites, "FU money" means the rest of us can go F ourselves.

3 comments:

Mongo919 said...

I'm fortunate enough to be retired and don't have to tell any employer FU. If I had to submit to the looney woke world of corporate HR these days, I would have surely told them FU after the first "You're Too White" diversity indoctrination lecture.

peacelovewoodstock said...

I am one foot out the door toward retirement, having worked out a deal to work four 8 hour days per week.

The other foot will be following the moment I am first required to use any personal pronouns other than the eleven that I grew up with. Or to respond to the question "what are your pronouns".

I'm not only not woke, I am anti-woke.

"A grouch escapes so many little annoyances that it almost pays to be one." - Kin Hubbard

FredKey said...

Hear, hear, gentlemen! Unfortunately, as I've noted, I can afford to retire about five years after I die. Unless this Fredcoin thing takes off....