Saturday, February 19, 2022

How windy was it?

It was so windy yesterday...

How windy was it?

It was so windy, Gladys Knight's Pips blew away. (/carson)

Thursday had been unusually clement for New York in February, temperatures as high as sixty and all the snow and ice melted. It felt like spring, even though it didn't have that springy smell. Well, we had to be punished for that beautiful day, and between eight p.m. and noon on Friday the temperatures were aiming to drop forty degrees. In other places, that could have meant tornadoes, but here it was just wind, and lots of wind. It roared hard enough to knock over half the garbage cans on the block. It was a constant whistle all night long, like we were flying with George Reeves's Superman.

You're hearing it right now, aren't you?

Of course you know that meant dog insanity. Large economy size dog Tralfaz is scared of the wind, especially at night. But he doesn't cower under the bed, no no (not that he could fit); he must go out multiple times to confront his enemy. And pee. Baby dog Izzy isn't scared of the wind, but whenever Fazzy goes out, he must follow. It's the way of his people.

I stayed downstairs with them so at least my wife could sleep. And yes, I had to go out multiple times in freezing cold with blasting windchill. I expected to see huge limbs and roof shingles falling like autumn leaves out there. Anyway, the power stayed on, but it was a crummy night of sleep.

Well, I'm glad I work from home, but I had a big deadline Friday on the huge and boring law book I was proofing. Thank God for coffee, and lots of it. At this point the wind is over and we're just back to freezing again, temperature about 20 Fahrenheit as I write. 
 
But I don't care. It's Saturday! Naptime! See you Sunday. Maybe.

No comments: