Thursday, May 26, 2016

Nature update.

What's up, buttercup?


If, like me, you make your living slumped over a computer or stacks of papers, you may not be aware that nature is happening out there. I swear I barely was aware of it before we got our needy dog, who requires my presence outside on many occasions.

I did spend a good amount of time outdoors when I was a kid, though. And re: buttercups: Never understood that thing about holding a buttercup up to your chin to prove that you liked butter. Who doesn't like butter? The honeysuckle test seemed more interesting, if only I could remember it. Something about, if you tasted honey... you like honey? You're fated to marry well? You'll be hit by a crosstown bus one day? Nope; memory banks overloaded.

In any event, buttercups and honeysuckles are blooming! And so is this!


This is the very same azalea I thought had been killed a year ago by the harsh winter. It survived, obviously, and this past mild winter seems to have given it a new lease on life. It's never looked better. I should note that this picture was taken a week ago, and now it's dropped many of the flowers. It will be a lush green plant throughout the summer and fall. That's azaleas for you; they're like the guy who peaked in high school, but at least has a good career in sales afterward.

Oh, and we have an update on the bird's nest!

PEEP.
Yes, as I noted last week, this bird is much braver than the robin that kept flying the coop last year. Not sure what kind of bird it is, having spent too much of my life bent over papers and screens. She's darker and rounder than a female robin and she got her nest together weeks earlier than the robin last year did. I think whatever bird this is, we're going to have some fun-size ones appearing in the nest soon.

So that's the good nature news. The bad news is the lawn; we've got a bumper crop of clover coming up. If anyone can lend me some goats or a flock of sheep, I think that may be the solution. Chew it to the ground and start over.

No comments: