Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Worth the dough.

Regular readers will know that we are obsessed with Dunkin' Donuts coffee, and as such my travels take me into the stores where I occasionally succumb to temptation and procure a doughnut. These are generally just dandy, but sometimes they are off, or even too sweet for me -- and almost nothing is too sweet for me. When your doughnut is sweeter than chewing a quarter cup of sugar, you know you've passed into the Glucose Zone.

But I must give them their due: The Blueberry Cobbler Croissant Donut is top notch.

Doughnut
They're goin' fast!
DD's croissant doughnut is, of course, their answer to the Cronut, Dominique Ansel's copyrighted pastry that was a citywide sensation in New York a couple of years ago. Dunkin' charges more for these raised doughnuts, when they have them, than their average rank-and-file G.I. doughnut, and while I haven't had a Cronut I can only say that if Dunkin's is a fair approximation, then I don't know what the big deal is.

Except for the Blueberry Cobbler Croissant Donut. That's righteous.

The key is that the blueberry filling is not too sweet. You can actually taste the blueberries. They actually have some blueberry texture. The doughnut/croissant hybrid is soft on the inside, crispy on the outside, with only a touch of icing.

Good job, Dunkin' Donuts! Perhaps it still is a far fry from the Ansel official Cronut, but I probably won't be able to get down to Spring Street soon to find out. Meanwhile, you've given us something very tasty that won't make me sweat corn syrup. Gimme one and a large coffee to go!

No comments: