Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Something else I shouldn't eat... Wait, this is okay.

A new product from Welch's: Freeze-dried grapes!



Apparently it is so new that it isn't even on Welch's Web site. Could be that the supermarket where I spotted it is one that gets a lot of advance stuff. One news report noted that this is a Welch's branded product that is actually developed by Healthy Food Brands, which has posted a ton of information on its own site. Maybe as part of the deal, Welch's can't put it on its own site.

It cost a buck so I had to try it. Also, the packaging noted that it was 35 calories for the whole bag. I liked that right off---not that it was so light, but that they were honest about a person eating the whole bag. Unlike some other individually packaged products. Not that it's a big bag, but still.

Anyway, let's see what we got.


Uh... looks a little weird. Like black olives on a burned pizza. Or really bad boogers.

The texture is strange too. These aren't just dried fruit, like raisins; these are freeze-dried, so they start sucking moisture from your mouth immediately. It's like astronaut ice cream. But the flavor is intense. All dried fruit gets a concentrated fruit sweetness and flavor, and this does too.

I did enjoy it, but it's more than double the price of the little box of raisins that parents stick in the kids' lunches, and unlike raisins it tends to have a lot of sticky crumbs. I'm sure it will be initially popular as a novelty, but I'm not sure of its long-term prospects. Anyway, I ate something that didn't have sugar added to it (or virtually compose it entirely), so I'm going to count it as a win.

No comments: