Saturday, May 7, 2022

I take it back.

All right, all right, I take it back. I'm not going to go out and kill everything this spring. It seems Nature has been reading this blog and decided to teach me a lesson yesterday. 

If nothing else, the rhododendrons have been spectacular this year. Further, though, I've hardly seen a single wasp on them -- but I have seen plenty of bumblebees. We're fond of those guys; they actually rated a hard B on my grading of backyard bugs some years ago. 


They've been called flying pandas, and it's hard to disagree. 

Next, I was with Izzy in the backyard when we saw a little ball of gray fuzz. Was it some weird and likely poisonous fungus? No, it was a tiny mouse that skittered away from us, but not very far. He didn't seem to be very good at being a mouse yet. I mean, the dog isn't so likely to see him when he's still, but I could, and Izzy could surely sniff him out. But I let the mouse go because he was cute. That's how they get you, you know -- one tiny one is cute, 500 tiny ones or one huge one are a nightmare. But let it be for now.

The last event of the day also happened in Izzy's company, as we emerged from the front door and saw traffic stopped in both directions and a couple of guys milling about. It seems there was a huge turtle in the middle of the road. He likely was heading for the pond across the street, and ran out of gas on the meridian. Fortunately I had not put my snow shovel in the garage yet (yes, we've had snow in May) and I managed to get the chap off the road and into the grass on the other side. Only flipped him over twice. Not that he looked particularly grateful. 


So there's my wildlife story --  Mutual of Omaha's Suburban Kingdom -- but rest assured that while I no longer wish to kill everything out there, there are many things that will perish if they cross my path. Yellowjackets, you've been warned. 

No comments: