Thursday, December 23, 2021

The Thursday before Christmas.

This is without question the latest I have ever been in getting my decorations up. 

As I was saying last week, I've been very busy with work, and the new puppy is still in a destructive-slash-separation anxiety stage. He knows that if he wants attention and whining isn't doing the job, he can just start destroying something and attention will follow. He probably is aware that trouble follows too, but he'd rather have bad attention than none at all. He's at the Judd Nelson in Breakfast Club stage.

For the first time in my life I am not concerned that everything is up, though. If some ornaments don't make it to a tree, sucks to be them. I refuse to be dragged into any Toy Story-like imaginings, seeing weepy Christmas specials like The Little Forgotten Ornament in my mind's eye. They are inanimate objects and they can stay in the box for one year. If the tree looks finished, it's finished.

The promised cookies are still just that as well--promised. Looks like I'll be making them on Christmas Day now, which is fine. I'll be in the kitchen anyway, doing a roasted beef tenderloin with mashed potatoes and Grandma's secret spinach recipe. Some say Grandma should have taken her secret to the grave, but I tell you honestly it's made spinach fans from spinach haters before. 

And you know what? Everything is going to be fine. These are all the trappings of Christmas. They are not the cause of it. That cause is something I ought to focus on more.

Besides, worst comes to worst, I can always just decorate the dogs and call it a night. Yes, I have done this thing, this is a thing I have done, and I will do this thing again.


You'd better watch out, puppies!

No comments: