Saturday, April 17, 2021

Rain.

This means nothing to anybody, because it's about the Mets, but they've already had seven postponements due to bad weather or Chinese Death Virus this season and we're just over two weeks in. Last night in Denver they were postponed by snow.

Mr. Met doesn’t have a Snow Delay test card.


It doesn't even mean much to me, because I haven't seen a single pitch so far. First, I've been doing a lot of my own work, so I haven't had a chance to watch a bunch of guys who make more money in the time it takes them to adjust their jocks than I do all year. Second, when I was planning to watch a little baseball, the games were delayed and then postponed. And third, Major League Baseball is run by blithering nincompoops who hold their fans in contempt, which makes me very unlikely to want to spend any time with the league. 

The main reason I was thinking about this at all was that I glanced at the National League East standings and was surprised to see that the Mets are in first place. With three painful losses and all those missing games, the Mets have the only winning record in the division at 5-3. (One of the five wins was on a blown call, but when you're the Mets you have to take the breaks when you get them.)


The Mets have played the fewest games in the division at 8; the Nationals have played 10, the Marlins and Phillies 12, and the Braves 14. It's preposterous. 

As you would imagine, the Mets have a lot of doubleheaders coming up now, starting today against the Rockies, if they aren't snowed out again. 

Mets fans are always pleasantly surprised to see the team in first place, because it doesn't happen a whole lot. We savor it while we can. Or at least we do when the commissioner isn't alienating fans with his jackassery. 

For me, I know that this lead won't last, and that it's unlikely I'll watch any baseball this year anyhow. I am too busy scrambling to make a living, unlike the greedy slobs who populate the league. No one needs them, and the league needs to figure that out. We shall see if they get the message. 

No comments: