Thursday, October 22, 2020

Making a spooktacle.

When a major decorative holiday approaches, I like to canvass the area and see who's doing what. I have to say that my friends and neighbors have mostly not thrown in the towel, or the hole-covered sheet, on Halloween just because trick-or-treating may be cancelled and there's no Great Pumpkin special on TV for the first time in 54 years. 

So here's what I've seen in my jaunts about town, often accompanied by my Canine Praetorian Guard. We'll start with a music number: 


Leaning on a lamp
You think I look a tramp
Or maybe I'm just 'round to steal a soul
But no, I'm not a schnook
You think that's what I look
I'll tell you why I'm on this bloody pole

I'm leaning on a lamppost at the corner of the street 
In case a certain walking dead man comes by
My, oh my
I hope that walking dead man comes by
You see he's doomed
His death has loomed
And by the tomb he'll be consumed
So anyone can understand why
I'm leaning on a lamppost at the corner of the street
In case a certain walking dead man comes by


And here we have good old Jolly Jack. He's two-dimensional but full of cheer.


The maiden aunt of Death, above.


This family's home always seems quite proper. So, no fun decorations. I have no idea where they got the classy Halloween bow. Who does classy Halloween decorations?



Now, that's more like it! Big, fat, inflatable pumpkin fun. The brim is even up at a rakish angle.


The local kids painted the windows of our public library. Frankie and Drac are by far the best work. Unless these are decals. They are good enough to be decals. Now I think they're decals. 


Half upright with bloodshot eyes. This scarecrow is just missing a bottle of MD 20/20. Which would be perfect for this stupid Halloween, as I think about it. Sober up and get a job, scarecrow.


This is not a house that goes in for Halloween stuff, but this year they went game. Made a good job of the big web by the front door. That could actually deter little kids.


Okay, this is sad. Mistakes were made, clearly.


A common problem this year. People think putting out pumpkins is a nice, decorative touch. Sure, if you don't mind feeing the squirrels and chipmunks. So, these migrated from the home's porch to the curb to await the garbage man.


I dig this one. A haunted tree with a churning green light inside! Never seen that before. I even took the two-second video below so you could see it in action.


I was surprised to find out it's an inflatable. When I passed by later that day with the other dog, it was collapsed on the ground like a teenager's sock.


Aaaaand here are the pumpkins by the curb a couple of nights later, when the deer have gotten into the act. 

So that's what's going on around here. How are things where you are?

1 comment:

Robert said...

The scary thing is the Biden-Harris yardsigns. (OK, enough polyticks)

There's a fair amount here, the best ones are homemade ones.

rbj