Friday, October 2, 2020

Try not to take everything personally.

While going about my business, working on a roundup of information about the Chinese Death Virus, the Communist Chinese party's little gift to the world, I was referred by a colleague to a pre-publication report on obesity and COVID-19 death rates. It's been known for some time that the obese have higher rates of death from infection with the stupid virus; during New York City's siege it was found in a different study that obesity was the main underlying condition (not counting age) that complicated treatment. No surprise there. 

The surprise came from the comments section. This being a pre-pub study, the comments were not reserved to serious medical personnel. But there was this, which was retweeted five times:


Our commenter here is a "suicidologist" who seems to have the intention of helping people, especially those who have suffered from the suicide of a loved one. I don't think that's an official title, as her main avocation seems to be art, photography, and other nonmedical areas of study. But I'm not sure I understand why she seems so upset. Is she mad at the scientists for even studying this because it is fat-shaming? That's my best guess, because it seems from her Web site that she, like your humble author, may have excess adipose tissue. But if that's the case, I have to say: Relax. Don't take everything so personally. 

I feel hectored as well by the medical world, which seems like it won't be happy until we're surviving on kale and lemon water and bicycling everywhere, even in the snow. There's a lot of humblenag going on. At the same time, I know I would feel and likely be healthier if I were to drop some weight. I believe them when they say obesity is a major contributor to illness, and I don't think the scientists attached to the study under discussion are doing anything but passing on observed data. It may make me feel sad for myself and others who struggle to lose weight, and those whose lives were lost in the battle against the Jinping Pneumonia, but just because it makes me feel bad doesn't mean it isn't accurate. The truth is the truth no matter how I feel about it.

And this is where we are now. It seems that many of the same people who claimed to be all about the science want to cancel science when they don't like where it leads (science being a method, not a creed). There's a lot of things we might find useful to know that we likely never will, because to even ask the questions brings down the fury of the mob. 

It's up to me how I decide to act on the information presented. It is often questionable, the field of science being as subject to corruption as any other human endeavor. But I will tell you this: If a study comes out that promises I will live to 102 if I adopt the kale and lemon water diet, I'll say that's all right, I'll be happy to make it to 95.

3 comments:

peacelovewoodstock said...

I suspect this person was making an attempt at being sarcastic.

I mean, if you feel the need to provide your preferred pronouns along with your user name, that suggests that you come from a place where fat shaming is is seen as yet another tool of the systemic oppression that is toxic masculinity.

And yet, a stubborn and frustrating idea continues to tantalize us .. the idea that if we all lived according to the golden rule, the world would be a far better place for all of us. Would that we could put this idea to the test once and for all.






Mongo919 said...

Whenever I see one of those rainbow-colored yard signs professing that the home's residents believe (among other PC standard slogans) that "Science Is Real", I think, "until it contradicts your blinkered world view."

FredKey said...

Agreed, chaps.