Saturday, May 23, 2020

People!

I'm running a little short today, and that's not because someone cut me off at the knees. No, what happened was this: An old friend -- I think we've been friends since age 15 -- arranged a Zoom Virtual Bar & Grill last night to kick off the weekend with a bunch of the old gang. I thought it might run for an hour, but we stayed on yakking for almost four hours.

I can't begin to tell you how good it was to see the faces of my old pals again.

Part of me, and not an inconsiderable part, sometimes wants to go find a cabin in the woods where I can take up housekeeping with a shotgun. It's a retirement plan for if my wife leaves me. I'll live on Social Security, half for food and half for shells, and fire blasts into the air anytime someone gets within a football field of my front door.

But it's all nonsense.

On Thursday I mentioned in the comments section of the Great Lileks's site that some of the local fellows and I were going to meet up in a public place, lawn chairs and masks and social distancing, and just spend an hour enjoying the sun, human company, and see if we got arrested. I brought junior varsity dog Nipper for protection, so if others gave us trouble he could lick them. Not only were we unpestered by any police or any Karens (sorry to good women named Karen), but we also had a really nice time. Nipper even behaved beautifully. I felt a kind of warmth and peace after that little get-together that I had not known was missing.

It's not like I never see anyone. My wife is here with me all the time, and we get along very well. Seldom is there any friction between us. And I do get out of the house for the odd errands. But it's not the same. Maybe everyone I see is a friend I haven't met yet, as the optimists say, but it's not likely I'll meet anyone masked and six feet away.

Nope, I have to resign myself to the fact that I like to see and talk with people after all. That they are positive influences in my life, and lead to greater peace and happiness. Some others may disagree...


... but that is my experience. At least I don't have to buy a shotgun now.

4 comments:

Dan said...

I don't seek out people, but now and then Dave, from down the block, will stop by (he is our general handyman and does our lawn stuff, even though he has a real job. Well, real as in he runs an outdoor recreation facility for the Army. Also see Craig, our next door neighbor from time to time when he's back from being a contractor in Iraq. Then there's Denise who does our bi-weekly heavy-lift housekeeping. She sometimes has time for a flapjaw session.

Mostly I keep in touch with some folks via comments on blogs (persona OldFert on Lileks and several other sites) and e-mail exchanges. I like it like that.

The cabin in the woods (by the ocean or a lake for me) would be just fine.

FredKey said...

With or without shotgun?

Dan said...

With. Also, your fortification and barrier setup would be welcome, also.
Also, here's that missing close parenthesis from the first paragraph: ).

FredKey said...

Thanks! I've sprinkled a few here in case you run out. ()()()()()(())()((())()