Saturday, May 9, 2020

A little soda.

We take a needed break from heavy topics today to bring you the smallest possible beverage you can try.


Isn't that cute? It's one of a limited edition Coca-Cola flavored Tic Tacs that I impulse-bought in the store. I'm not much of an impulsive person; only if it costs less than ten bucks.





So yes, Tic Tac is making these Coke-flavored candies, and aren't they just darling? I have always liked the taste of Coke, and growing up in a Pepsi family, the struggle was real. These days I usually eschew the classic sugary sodas, preferring to spend my calories on eats rather than drinks. But here's a little 2-calorie treat that has the great taste of Coke!

Or does it...?

It starts off with the usual Tic Tac sugar taste, then you get a hint of cherry. As you go you start to get the traditional Coke taste. It's a little strange that, without the fizz, it actually comes across more like flat cola syrup, used for stomach ailments. My mom relied on that stuff, and it is effective for mild upset stomach. (When she a tot they would get it from the drugstore soda fountain.) So yes, the Tic Tac tastes like Coke, with a bit of that vanilla flavor that sets Coke apart from the others of its class.

But never mind what it tastes like. It's irresistibly small. Look at that logo!

People love tiny things. Kids, of course, but everyone else too. Dollhouses, model trains, and so on. Who is not wowed by the guy who makes carvings from pencil lead?

My wife loves Ann Reardon, food scientist and expert baker, especially when she bakes her miniature cakes -- they are real and they are tiny. You can see some of her videos here.

I find tiny crafts fascinating, but I don't find watching videos of these things relaxing, as some do. I keep imagining myself in the moment, working on a minuscule project, hands shaking, and whoops! Broke it! Or ACHOO! Where the hell is it now? Or worse, taking a calming breath and inhaling it. Oh, great, the miniature model of Mount Rushmore I carved is now stuck in my left sinus.

Anyway: Tiny crafts good; Me at them bad; Coke Tic Tacs pretty good, but a little weird. And that's good enough for a Saturday!

1 comment:

bgbear said...

Here is my miniature NYC skyline: