Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Dog song.


If I could have a treat
A little treat from you
It would be awful nice
And it would see me through
Oh it would be so sweet
If I could have a treat

If I could have a pet
One little pet from you
To show me that you care
And that you like me too
Would be the best thing yet
To have a little pet

If I could take a walk
Go take a walk with you
We wouldn’t go too far
And you might like it too
And we could sit and talk
If we could take a walk

🐶

If I could share a home
Could share my home with you
And you could be my dog
And I would love you too
It’s just a dream come true
To share a home with you


👱

So, the above song -- and there is music, which I usually steal inadvertently when I try to compose music -- was inspired by Junior Dog Nipper, watching me with irresistible puppy eyebrows working while I was cooking dinner. He fancies himself my sous chef, which means he wants to hang around in the kitchen in case anything falls off the counter. But I can't let him, because there are knives, and foods that are poisonous to dogs. So he sometimes loafs on the ground and gives me the eyes. Which are irresistible. 

The proximate cause for running this soggy sentiment today is that Subaru, a lifestyle company that happens to manufacture cars, has declared October 22 to be the first annual Make a Dog's Day. And I like this idea. We know a lot of dogs need homes, and a lot of people who could take care of one and whose lives would be improved by the experience should have a dog.

BUT -- and this is a major caveat -- I will be the first to say that not everyone ought to run out and get a dog from the shelter. Dogs are more work than I had anticipated when we got Senior Dog Tralfaz. Some shelter dogs are a positive danger to small kids or other animals, and a good shelter will have assessed them for this behavior before sending them out, but not all do or can. Many families are simply too busy to give a dog the attention it needs. Many people living alone simply can't handle the requirements of a dog, for exercise or discipline or veterinary cost. The sad irony is that people with the time to raise dogs are often very young, very old, very broke, or very disabled -- the exact people who would have the most difficulty caring for a pet. And some people are just plain allergic to dogs. So although I get weepily sentimental about the big lugs, I would never place a canine with someone who couldn't cope with it. It's just stupid, and possibly dangerous.

On the other hand, a lot of folks who do have the time and the money to have a dog just don't want the added responsibility. I understand that too. I felt that way for a long time. However, I feel that way about pretty much everything that enriches my life. Dumb shallow stuff is easy. Important stuff is hard. 

Anyway, I've always been a sucker for puppy eyes. Who isn't?

Shameless

6 comments:

Mongo919 said...

"Subaru, a lifestyle company that happens to manufacture cars" - brilliant!

Our Mongrel is 12+ and still has puppy eyes (with grey brows). Those eyes can get me to take her out on such a dark, rainy morning like this one. My life is the better (and wetter) from her presence.

Appropriately, reCAPTCHA had me click thru seven fire hydrants!

bgbear said...

Bernie the rescue via late MIL is a major pest in the kitchen mainly because he is a 24 pound dead weight tripping hazard. I just point while I am preparing a meal and he'll leave to just outside the kitchen entry way and stare.

I made the mistake of giving him tasty scraps when we first brought him home and he would refuse to eat his dog food until he was damn sure we would not break down.

I am sure I am a disappointment to him. Cat person you know.

FredKey said...

rCAPTCHA is prescient! Love the pictures of Mongrel, Mongo.

And Bear, I thought you were more of a ferret guy. I suspect MIL used to spoil that dog rotten. The Mrs. has always had a no-people-food rule that is ironclad, except when it comes to cheese. Gotta give them a little cheese.

bgbear said...

We have at last count 7 rescue ferrets, one rescue dog, one cat born under a co-worker's porch, two rescue sugar gliders, and one bird we actually paid for over 25 years ago.

bgbear said...

(hit published too soon)

So you are correct by count I am a ferret person even if you count all the incorporeal cats and ferrets I think the ferrets win.

FredKey said...

A friend of mine has a Quaker parrot that his son stuck him with when he left the house. My friend is convinced that the parrot hates his guts and will also outlive him.