Monday, October 14, 2019

No blog?

I apologize for the lack of a genuine blog entry today. Yesterday I was with a friend of mine and his birth mom who had been separated from each other for decades. They lived about 250 miles away and neither knew where the other was for a very long time.

This was pretty powerful stuff.

She had given him up when she was 17. You can say what you want about the social mores of the sixties, when that occurred, but in modern times it's still not a good idea to have a child at 17. The funny thing is, neither of them were railing against the society that caused them to be parted. They spoke about their own feelings, like having a piece missing for fifty years that has now snapped into place.

I don't know that I'd say everyone was crying, but everyone sure seemed to get pretty misty. Maybe that was just me.

You're not crying, I'm crying!
Oh, wait...

By the time that was over, the dogs were demanding attention, and with one thing and another, the blog entry I'd planned for today did not get written. Oh, it was a good one. In fact, I hope to run it tomorrow.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed your weekend at least as much as I enjoyed mine. The wife is off from work today, but your Friendly Neighborhood Freelance Editor will be grinding out two pieces that I've gotten sick of in the last week. Fingers crossed they will be out the door by tomorrow morning.

UPDATE: Things have not progressed today as planned, so tomorrow's blog entry is liable to be brief and not at all the thoughtful essay I'd hoped. But it will still brighten your day with your dose of Vitamin Fred, which four out of four fictional doctors recommend for better health! And vim!

4 comments:

Mongo919 said...

I had a real good quesadilla for lunch yesterday, but that doesn't hold a candle to the reunion you described. Wow.

bgbear said...

My wife's brother just discovered his birth mother. Unfortunately she passed away a few years ago, but he has been in contact with some half sibling. He is about 65. That is a long time.

Wife was also adopted and we have names, but she is not as curious about half siblings and such out there she does not know. I understand. I also have unknown relatives I am not in too much of a hurry to find.

Dan said...

Well, it's Columbus Day, so you can get away with a day off.

Speaking of Columbus Day, this trend toward renaming it Indigenous Peoples' Day is getting a bit wearisome. Do these people hate Italians? Or Spaniards?

If you don't like Columbus day, you must hate Italians, Queen Isabella, and the crews of the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria. And if you hate Italians, it follows you therefore should never eat, or make, pizza again. And stop eating any type of macaroni, too, culture appropriating heathen.

/sarc

FredKey said...

I think they've actually done a disservice to Indians by trying to paper over Columbus Day. It's puts them in opposition to Italians, and it winds up being just a shadow holiday to an official federal holiday. How does that help the cause more than a distinct holiday would?