Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Migraine, and yours.

For decades I've had these weird, occasional migraine symptoms, without the actual migraine.

I get the shimmering lights that they call the aura. It starts as little spot, then slowly spreads into a backward C, and keeps expanding until it goes beyond the range of vision. I can't drive, can't read; it blocks the center of my vision, then a large part of the field; just before it goes away, when it's only at the edges, it's still very distracting. I used to get a headache at the end of this little light show, but no longer.

The aura is the first sign of an oncoming migraine headache for many sufferers. I'm very grateful that I don't get the actual migraine. I've heard stories of people beating their heads on the wall because that pain was less bad than their migraine, so it felt good.

It happens maybe twice a year. Only once was it so bad that I left work. It happened yesterday when I was up early to finish a project I couldn't complete over the weekend. I started work at five, before the dogs (Thing 1 and Thing 2) were awake, and suddenly had this little twinkling dot in the center of my vision. As it grew and obscured my sight, I knew I'd have no choice but to lie down until it passed. That usually takes about half an hour. Of course I fell asleep, and woke at six.

So what causes this problem? Defective brain? Am I Abby Normal?




Years ago I talked to an eye doctor about this, and he was a bit confused. He said it sounded like the migraine aura (which is well-known, but only about 20% of migraine victims have that symptom). He thought it could be a vascular problem, which I believe at the time (the early 2000s) was thought to be migraine-connected.

The National Headache Foundation now says that "we know that aura is due to transient changes in the activity of specific nerve cells." Thanks! I'll make sure to keep those cells safe from transient changes. Seriously, though, I wonder if what I have does count as a migraine; the NHF also notes that there is no specific test that can confirm a diagnosis. "Your blood contains Factor Z, my man -- migraine!"

The Merck Manual, a very good resource, tells us that "Migraines occur in people whose nervous system is more sensitive than that of other people." Well, that sounds like me. "In these people, nerve cells in the brain are easily stimulated, producing electrical activity." Again, me. Some things are known to trigger the headaches, like lack of sleep and stress. Who dat? Me! But why some people get them and others don't is still a pretty dim area.

It's weird to have any kind of condition that science! doesn't understand. Same thing happened with my idiopathic hearing loss last year. You guys figured out the human genome, but you can't figure out this? 

It doesn't always help when they do understand, though -- they know all about the hundreds of cold viruses, but haven't yet managed to come up with a vaccine to prevent them all. Although, to be fair, they're trying.

Oh, well. I'm still very grateful that these attacks are rare, and that I don't get the crippling migraine headaches. Sinus headaches are another story. And tension headaches. Those I get. Doesn't everybody? Or is it just us people with more sensitive nervous systems?

6 comments:

bgbear said...

I just want to know if British meegraines are different than American Mygraines.

Mongo919 said...

My wife gets migraines that are weather-induced. When high pressure moves in behind a cold front with a steep pressure gradient, it almost always triggers one. The nice sunny (usually breezy) day that follows is most unpleasant for her. When low pressure settles in for a few days of rain, no problems at all. Point being, there are triggers other than nerves. In her case, it is most likely sinus cavity malformation.

Glad you just get the aura, Fred. The full thing is a real bummer.

FredKey said...

Yeah, thanks, Mongo. Whether it's meegraine or shegraine of mygraine, it's a pain. For a while doctors were trying blood pressure meds as a preventive, but they have their own side effects. Sympathy to Mrs. Mongo!

Stiiv said...

What Fred said...my sympathy also to Mrs. Mongo.

Janet Roesler said...

I have those occasionally. My Oph calls them ocular migraines. Since my eyes have proven over the years to be my basic cheap parts, I’m grateful that no actual pain is involved, just the hassle of waiting 30 minutes for it to clear so that I can get back to my vital business of correcting people on the internet.

Ruffin said...

I get funny little squiggles that are similar to water running over glass - best description I can come up with. It will get larger and larger to where it does interfere with reading, working, driving and then it's gone. No pain whatsoever. My eye physician also told me they are ocular migraines. I've had them for decades. There was one desk I occasionally covered for customer service and I would inevitably have one. I mostly got them on the job, my entire working career was in offices. I'm guessing something to do with the lighting? I occasionally get one at home too but very tiny squiggles that leave soon.