Monday, July 22, 2019

A couple of classics.

When I was a kid, the dads tended to fall into one of three camps: Old Spice, Aqua Velva, or Skin Bracer. You'd meet the occasional Brut or even Hai Karate dad, but they were more likely to see overly friendly, like a salesman who couldn't turn it off at home. My dad found that Skin Bracer hit him just right.

But there were some classic colognes and aftershaves that had and have a recognizable scent, ones that just were not much in use by dads in the time and place where I grew up. I've not made a collection of them, but sometimes curiosity has overwhelmed me and I've felt obliged to try something like...



Clubman by Pinaud has been around since 1810, and smells like every just-for-guys barbershop I've ever entered. The omnipresent scent probably comes from the Clubman powder, with which every neck got brushed following the haircut. It's a nice, manly scent, a little floral but mostly woody, a little musky. I do find it a bit strong in the aftershave, though, so I will use a little Purell with it in my palm when I slap some on. I never want to be That Guy, the one who knocks people a step back because of his strong cologne (good or bad, a strong smell from a guy makes people react poorly).

This cologne, however, I found to be a little scary:



Supposedly Florida Water, an even older product, on the American scene since 1808, is named for the legendary Fountain of Youth that Juan Ponce de Leรณn sought. It's got a very spicy scent, clean rather than musky, and I would not have guessed that it contains oils of lemon, orange, and lavender, but it does. It also supposedly has a lot of spiritual uses for all kinds of pagan practices, but arrant nonsense aside, it's a pleasant enough product. I tend to thin this also with Purell, which may be why I have enjoyed no spiritual cleansing. The one mystic power I feared was that using Florida Water might turn a guy into a Florida Man, but the company that makes it is in New Jersey, so I think it's safe.

What do I usually use? Well, I like an alcohol-based aftershave because it kills germs (keep that flesh-eating bacteria out of your razor nicks!), it dries fast, and it feels clean. So I keep a pump bottle of Purell by the sink and usually just use that. For special occasions I may break out some fancy-pants cologne I got as a gift. But, every once in a while, I'll buy a bottle of Skin Bracer and use that, and remember my dad.

5 comments:

bgbear said...

This reminds me that overly perfumed Mike was out all last week. Nice break. I'll suppose he'll be back today. My office door will close 80% around 10 in anticipation of his arrival.

I only use unscented Cetaphil moisturizing cream after shaving. I do not like to "stink pretty".

What I find funny is cologne, scented aftershave, scented underarm deodorant, scented detergent, scented fabric softener, etc. You have a lot of fighting there for top scent.

FredKey said...

BattleScents -- put 'em all in a ring, let 'em fight it out. (I suppose Mouthwash could get in the mix too)

Mongo919 said...

Dad used Aqua Velva. There was something about that guy...

Fiendish Man said...

My father was an Old Spice man. As a teen, I tried out Brut (used way too much) and Aqua Velva (subtler, but also kind of strong). Into my twenties, I preferred Old Spice. My father had a bottle of Old Spice talc. I never noticed him use it, but sometimes after a shave I would cover my face in the stuff. Silently I would walk into the living room and wait for my father to look up and react with a look of disgust and horror at my powdery yellow visage.

peacelovewoodstock said...

Pinaud also makes "Lilac Vegetal", a crisp, light, refreshing and unique after shave.

Another favorite is 4711 "Kolnisch Wasser", a timeless classic although I am told that the brand was appropriated (at least for a time) by the gay community (it's OK to say that, right?).

Of course I am down to shaving about once every four or five days, it is quite acceptable these days - hip even - to go about unshaven. When I was a yout two or three days stubble meant you were a lazy bum or worse.